Q. Filling in the root canal treated tooth got dislodged. Can I fill it after a while?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

My tooth filling came out when eating food tonight. There is a hole in the bottom of where the remains of the tooth are and I can see bright pink through it. Gums around the tooth are not swollen, or inflamed. There is no pain when touching them either. How likely is it that I can wait it out till my insurance kicks?

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. Do not worry because it is a root canal treated tooth.

There is no pain because during the root canal treatment the tooth pulp would have been cleaned thoroughly. The pink color you see is the root filling material used. Since you have mentioned that your insurance starts from the 1st of the coming month, you got to fill the hole where the filling was lost with some inert material.

The best choice would be sugarless chewing gum. Just chew one and pack it yourself with a blunt end of some spoon that can be easily grabbed at the kitchen drawers. Make sure you wash your mouth before you do this and also use cleaned spoons preferably disinfected in hot water for 15 minutes. This can stay for a week's time most probably when packed tight. Later on, visit the dentist and get it filled with proper dental material.

I also advise you to get a crown for the root canal treated tooth as a next step. Through this, you can get rid of the tooth filling breakage in case of heavy load.

The filling material has lost its strength as it stayed for 10 long years. Heavy chewing load.

X-ray to check any fractures of the tooth as a precaution.

Follow up after three months.

| 

Which is the best treatment for badly decayed front teeth in a child?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3.5 years old daughter's upper front four teeth have decayed very badly and our dentist has advised on either root canal treatment or taking them out. Which treatment is best suited overall for my daughter?  Read Full »

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »

Other than braces, how to close the gap between two front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a gap between my two front teeth. I feel insecure to the point where I do not smile with my mouth wide open. I told my dentist about this. She said she cannot give me braces. What should I do? Is there anything else I can ask my dentist to give me other than braces to close my gap?  Read Full »