Q. I get severe pain in the ongoing root canal treated tooth. Does it imply non removal of nerves?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
Published on Jan 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 27, 2020

I have been going to a dentist about a tooth that is sore. They started a root canal but then did not finish. I have gone back several times and every time they open up the tooth and insert medicine. My tooth is in agony right now. I am just wondering if this is a standard procedure during a root canal? Should not the dentist remove the nerves so I am not in so much pain? Or is it the standard procedure to fight the infection first and then remove the nerves?

#

I understand your concern.

The number of sittings in the root canal procedure depends on the amount and extent of infection. If the infection is more, the tooth is opened up and medicated dressing is given to reduce the infection and to kill the nerves. Antibiotics and painkillers will be prescribed for the next three days to control the pain and infection. After three days, the root canal treatment can be done painlessly, once the nerve had died.

From your query and the details provided, it seems like you are having a challenging tooth (quite a lot of infection, curved roots, pulp stones, etc.). A clear picture of your tooth x-ray will help to identify the problem. Talk to your dentist and get to know, what is causing this pain and delay in treatment.

| 

I have pain in my heels which did not get better with any painkiller. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old male. I have a pain in my heels from three to four months. I used a lot of painkillers like Ibuprofen, Voltral, Nims, Dicloran inj, Brexien, Movax, Muscoril, Rotec, Bonate, Carlex D, and Vitamin D inj. and Methicobal inj. etc, but the result is zero. I also try to w...  Read Full »

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full »

Can root canal treatment help reduce swelling around infected teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have placed caps in my two teeth. Now, I got swelling around the teeth. X-ray has been taken. The doctor told me that there is some infection in the teeth, so it needs a root canal to be done. I do not have any pain in the teeth. I have only swelling in the teeth. Please suggest what to...  Read Full »