Q. Is it normal to feel pressure in the root canal treatment area?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I had a route canal treatment done yesterday on my two lower incisors. The pain from the tooth has gone. However, the area where the infection was observed is still sensitive to pressure. I have not taken many pain killers because the pain has not been that bad. But my surrounding teeth are sensitive still. Is this normal? Will the infection subside? And will I require antibiotics?

#

1. The pain you have after root canal treatment is because when you bite, there is a pressure distributed over the teeth and taken up by the tooth supporting structures around which is a sort of new irritation.

2. The sensitivity is a normal scenario after cleaning of gums & teeth, and you will automatically recover in a week.

3. You have mentioned that you are diagnosed with bruxism, hence relieving the bite(correction of the tooth surface so that it doesn't hit the upper when bitten) has to be done by the dentist.3. Or a nightguard covering all surfaces of the lower teeth has to be customized for you to wear(management for bruxism).

4. Either of these things will help you get rid of the pain.

5. The X-ray pretty much shows no infection down the roots, so you need not bother about taking antibiotics.

6. I advise you to visit your dentist for further follow-ups to ensure the tooth is surviving well with the fillings inside the root canal as well as over the tooth surface.

Management of bruxism with night guard appliance.

Do not bite hard foods like apple,guava,corn with the front teeth.

|