Q. My diabetic mother has excessive pain in a root canal treated tooth. Is this normal?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
Published on Oct 15, 2019

My mother is 64 years old and diabetic for 12 years. Recently she visited a dentist to get a denture. The dentist told that two pre-molars (1 up and 1 down on left side) have to be root canalled even though there was no pain in them because those teeth were not in good condition which he said after looking at an x-ray. I do not have any of those x-rays. So, the root canal was done on those two teeth, and cotton was placed there and asked to wait for one week. There is no pain at all. After one week, the cotton was removed, and the cement was placed. Within a few hours, the pain started, and it was increasing pain. The dentist then removed the cement and again placed cotton and asked her to wait for one week. No pain at all. Again on cementing, within few hours pain started a lot. Again cement was removed, and cotton was placed. This cement and cotton alternation has been going on three times (for three weeks), and the dentist says it will work at some point in time, and the cement will be permanent. He says the pain during cement is due to the gas pressure from the gas release by the microbes sitting on the remaining disintegrated pulp. If even finally it does not work and pain does not go away while with cement, he said he would make an antibiotic injection or spray on those teeth. I do not have any x-rays, so this is the only information I can give.

My question is, Does this procedure look normal and logical?

#

I need those pre-operative x-ray to make any comment, but as you do not have them, I can only make decisions based on your explanation.

Through your explanation, it does not seem normal. There was no need for a root canal; rather, the dentist could use those teeth for denture support. But as she is a diabetic and periodontal loss of attachment is common in diabetics, so maybe those teeth did not have enough strength to support, that is why all this procedure has been done.

Be sure before the final cementation of those teeth, cementation should not be done with pain. If pain persists, there is no other solution for a root canal treated tooth other than extraction, and then full mouth or complete dentures will be provided to your mother.

Kindly reply me back with the x-ray if you find it.

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the cavity is deep, the root canal treatment is necessary to save it. Else, it will have to be pulled out later. If it is not too deep then you should ask him whether first a temporary filling can be given and if there is no pain even after one month, it can be re...  Read Full

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If he is not cooperating then root canal treatment is very difficult for him and he would need to be sedated. You can delay the treatment by taking antibiotics and paracetamol for a week. This will give relief for some months. Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent...  Read Full

I have pain in one of my erupting wisdom tooth. Is it due to an infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have two wisdom teeth erupting, and I am worried one of them is getting infected on the left side. I am also worried that I might be getting a cavity under the cap of the molar teeth. And I feel that they have to be taken out, as they are 5 to 6 years old. I have attached a photo of the...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query, and I can understand your concern. I have seen the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lower left wisdom tooth is out of the arch means erupting buccally. It would have been better if you had attached the x-rays too, but it ...  Read Full