Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My diabetic mother has excessive pain in a root canal treated tooth. Is this normal?

Answered by
Dr. Ummah Mohammad
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 15, 2019

Hello doctor,

My mother is 64 years old and diabetic for 12 years. Recently she visited a dentist to get a denture. The dentist told that two pre-molars (1 up and 1 down on left side) have to be root canalled even though there was no pain in them because those teeth were not in good condition which he said after looking at an x-ray. I do not have any of those x-rays. So, the root canal was done on those two teeth, and cotton was placed there and asked to wait for one week. There is no pain at all. After one week, the cotton was removed, and the cement was placed. Within a few hours, the pain started, and it was increasing pain. The dentist then removed the cement and again placed cotton and asked her to wait for one week. No pain at all. Again on cementing, within few hours pain started a lot. Again cement was removed, and cotton was placed. This cement and cotton alternation has been going on three times (for three weeks), and the dentist says it will work at some point in time, and the cement will be permanent. He says the pain during cement is due to the gas pressure from the gas release by the microbes sitting on the remaining disintegrated pulp. If even finally it does not work and pain does not go away while with cement, he said he would make an antibiotic injection or spray on those teeth. I do not have any x-rays, so this is the only information I can give.

My question is, Does this procedure look normal and logical?



Welcome to

I need those pre-operative x-ray to make any comment, but as you do not have them, I can only make decisions based on your explanation.

Through your explanation, it does not seem normal. There was no need for a root canal; rather, the dentist could use those teeth for denture support. But as she is a diabetic and periodontal loss of attachment is common in diabetics, so maybe those teeth did not have enough strength to support, that is why all this procedure has been done.

Be sure before the final cementation of those teeth, cementation should not be done with pain. If pain persists, there is no other solution for a root canal treated tooth other than extraction, and then full mouth or complete dentures will be provided to your mother.

Kindly reply me back with the x-ray if you find it.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How can I fix the small gap in the bottom half of my front teeth?

Is there any treatment that could possibly bring the front teeth together fully or at least more than they are right now ... The treatment for this is to get reshaping of your teeth done or by ge...   Read full

Is root canal treatment advisable to cure badly decayed front teeth in a child?

If pain and swelling recur once medicines are stopped, try getting chamber opened or root canal of the culprit tooth if the infection is minor, if it is major then get it extracted ...   Read full

Can I die from a tooth infection?

It can also be saved through a root canal treatment with post and core if some tooth structure is left clinically ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines in India
Two vaccines, Covishield and Covaxin, have been granted emergency use authorization in India. Read about these vaccines'...  Read more»
Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.