Q. Occasionally, I have redness in my nose. Why?

and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 13, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 09, 2021

I have occasional redness on my nose for the past few months. Nothing seems to trigger it. I notice them when I have dust in my nose. I use raw honey as a cleaner. I am pretty sensitive to normal face washes. I have tried using Cerave gentle cleanser and it made my skin oily. I had some redness and burning sensation on my face after using it. My skin on my nose seems to be normal. I never had oiliness or acne before. It seems that I have not washed my face. I have blemishes and it needs treatment. I almost think of rosacea but I do not have any other symptoms. How to get my clear skin tone back? Again, my skin is really sensitive. What to do?

#

I have gone through the query and concern. On examining the attached picture, you seem to have rosacea. But you do not have the signs of rosacea. The most common cause is solar damage. It leads to vasomotor instability causing erythema on the face and it creates the tendency to flush easily. The other triggering factors that exacerbate rosacea should be identified and should be avoided. The common triggering factors are hot or cold temperatures, wind, hot drinks, caffeine, exercise, spicy foods, alcohol, emotions, topical products.

These factors can irritate the skin and decreases the barrier. You need to avoid these triggering factors. For red areas, you can use Brimonidine gel (Glycerin with Methyl paraben) twice daily. As your skin is sensitive, I suggest you do a test patch for the advised medicine. Apply a small quantity over the postauricular area and leave it for 48 hours. If there is no itching or redness, then you can apply it to the face. You can use a broad-spectrum physical sunscreen like Sun cross soft gel with SPF (sun protection factor) of more than 50 daily over the face in the morning. It should be repeated once after four hours. Have a review if the problem persists.

|