Q. What treatment would you suggest for my father's shoulder condition?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

I am enclosing an MRI report of my father who is 70 years old. I want to know whether an operation is the only available option for his shoulder condition according to the report. If we go for the operation, then what is the success rate? Without an operation, how long will it take to get cure? He takes Telma 40 and Ecosprin 150 V regularly because four years back, he had a paralysis attack.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the MRI report enclosed by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It appears that there is a rotator cuff tear due to which he must be having a weakness in his affected shoulder.
  • The decision whether surgical procedure is required or not depends upon a clinical examination of the affected shoulder after which it can be correlated with the MRI and a decision can be taken whether a surgical procedure is required or intensive physical therapy is required for rehabilitation.
  • Surgery for rotator cuff repair, if done by a good surgeon yield good results. As anesthesia is required, a thorough preoperative work up needs to be done for surgical fitness.
  • Since there is a previous history of an attack of CVA (cerebrovascular accident), a thorough preoperative evaluation needs to be done, including a check up of the heart and other blood tests as required by the anesthetist.

Degenerative condition or post injury.

As per clinical examination.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|