Q. I have a ruptured eardrum, and I hear a fluttering sound. What if my ear never heals?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

Good morning,

I am reaching out because I am at my wits end. I have messaged my pcp and no one is responding. And I’m just looking for a quick response to cal my nerves.

For the past 2 weeks I’ve been having this weird sensation in my L ear. At first I though it was me hearing my pulse but then it started happening more frequently in the past 2 days and its more like a flutter sound/feeling. I went to an urgent care and was dx with ruptured eardrum. And now have to use drops to help the healing process.

I am so paranoid and scared. I also have really bad anxiety and it’s been getting bad since this thing started. What if my ear never heals? What if I never stop hearing the fluttering sound? I just wanna go back to normal. I don’t even know what caused this. And I’m afraid of developing vertigo because being dizzy makes me think ill faint and pass out.

#

As you are having Left ear tympanic perforation, you will feel discomfort but i want to tell you that most of the traumatic perforation (smaller to medium size) it will heal spontaneously. One of the important thing to take care is not to put any thing in ear as it can lead to ear infection( Otitis media) since you are not having decrease hearing loss, ear discharge, vertigo you will get better with time. Most important thing is to do now is not to worry, your symptoms will slowly go on itself.

Precaution to be taken are:

1)Prevent entry of water in ear(use ear plug)

2)Do not blow your nose forcefully

3)Try to ignore the sound by involving in other activities ( tv , music) but avoid loud music and ear phone

Treatment:

1)Tab betahistidine 8mg PO when ever you feel vertigo / severe ringing sensation ear

Danger sign: when to go to hospital:

1)n case of watery discharge (can be due to CSF otorrhea)

2)In case of ear discharge /severe vertigo

Just be clam it will resolve hope this will help you Thank you

|