Q. I got my periods on twenty-fourth of this month. When is my safe period?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am on my period. Twenty-fourth of this month, my periods started. Which is my safe period? I need to know about both the safe period and the unsafe period. I also need to know about ovulation. Kindly guide me.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

For a 28 day cycle, every menstrual cycle is divided into:

1) Day one to five, day one is when your period starts (day one of the period). Five days post start of the period is considered to be the safest to prevent pregnancy.

2) Day 11 to 17 is considered a period of highest fertility. Ovulation takes place around day 14 in a regular 28 days cycle. If cycles are shorter, ovulation may take place around the eleventh day, and if periods are longer, it may take place around day 17. intercourse during this time leads to pregnancy 85 percent of the time.

3) Day 20 to 28 in a regular cycle these days are again period of low fertility, and chances of pregnancy are very low.

But these are just estimates. If you have irregular cycles, ovulation is tough to predict and can occur at random times for the particular cycle. Hence it is wise to track your cycle using a calendar, body temperature, and cervical mucus method, and ovulation kits. If you want to know how to use the various methods to track ovulation, kindly revert back.

I hope this was helpful.

|