Safety Limit For Ct Scans

Does radiation exposure during x-ray cause cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old male. I am obese with weight more than 130 kg. I got plenty of tests done in a single year. Last year, I got my CT scan of full abdomen followed by five chest x-rays. One CT scan of the brain plain and bone densitometry (DEXA) scan in June and a CT PNS yesterday. Now ...  Read Full »

Dr. Indu Bhushan Kumar

Radiodiagnosis Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. X-ray and CT scan uses ionizing radiation. Though these are harmful rays, in diagnostic radiology it is generally safe for the patients. Though you have undergone many investigations it is well below the maximum allowable safe dose for the patient. Amount of radiation...  Read Full »

What is the safety limit for CT scans?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. I would like to know how many CTscans - abdomen and pelvis are safe in a 2 months time. I have had CT scan abdomen and pelvis 2 months back in another city, but now a doctor here wants it done again as I do not have the reports. Is it safe? What is the safety limit for ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Every CT scan abdomen and pelvis will give you a radiation exposure of approximately 14 mSv which means it gives a risk of 0.16 percent to develop cancer. This means 99.86 percent chance that it will not cause cancer. If you get another CT scan abdomen and pelvis done now...  Read Full »

Will I get cancer as a result of CT scan?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old male. My height is 5'11" and weight is 170 lbs. I do not have any major health issue, but my brother and mother had recently come down with leukemia. Recently had a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis repeated with and without contrast material. Before four years, I also ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The recent computed tomography (CT) scan of abdomen and pelvis has a radiation dose of 12.366 mSv which means it is causing an additional cancer risk of 0.06 percent. This is quite low and not a reason to get worried. The radiation dose from the three CT scans for kidney ...  Read Full »