Q. Is it fine to do saline gargling two hours after tooth extraction?

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

After tooth extraction surgery, I accidentally rinsed with salt water after two hours of the surgery. Will it effect anything?

#

I have been through your query and I can understand your concern.

No, it will not affect the healing of the tissue unless you rinsed rigorously. You should avoid rigorous rinses or gargles because it will remove the clot of the wound leading to dry socket often times. However, if you rinsed gently and still are not experiencing any pain, then the clot is there only and you do not need to worry. You can use saline water (salt water) for the rinses. It is good as it will reduce the swelling and also reduce bacterial load. You do not need to worry about it. You may continue using salt water for rinses but be gentle while doing so. Also, follow your dentist’s instructions. Maintain good oral hygiene as well.

|