Q. Is it fine to do saline gargling two hours after tooth extraction?

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir
Published on Oct 25, 2019

After tooth extraction surgery, I accidentally rinsed with salt water after two hours of the surgery. Will it effect anything?

#

I have been through your query and I can understand your concern.

No, it will not affect the healing of the tissue unless you rinsed rigorously. You should avoid rigorous rinses or gargles because it will remove the clot of the wound leading to dry socket often times. However, if you rinsed gently and still are not experiencing any pain, then the clot is there only and you do not need to worry. You can use saline water (salt water) for the rinses. It is good as it will reduce the swelling and also reduce bacterial load. You do not need to worry about it. You may continue using salt water for rinses but be gentle while doing so. Also, follow your dentist’s instructions. Maintain good oral hygiene as well.

| 

My friend has a throat infection.I was along with him while he had the infection.Could I have a throat infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 15 years old and my friend has a throat infection. I was along with him while he had the infection and now the roof of my mouth and throat is kind of sore. It feels like there is mucus stuck there and I have a weird taste in my mouth. Could I have a throat infection? And if I do,...  Read Full »

I got flu-like symptoms for two months in a row. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old male, who weighs 175 lbs and I am 5.11 feet tall. I had flu-like symptoms last month, which lasted for about three days. And I just had flu-like symptoms again this month. It started three days back, and it is not as severe as the first time. First time I had a fev...  Read Full »

How can we stop excessive bleeding from tooth extraction site?

Query: Hi doctor, It has been eight hours now. I have extracted three teeth at the same time. There is excessive bleeding from the extracted site. Is this deadly?  Read Full »