Q. I met with an accident and got stitches 20 years ago, and it turned into a scar. How to remove it?

Dr. Dilip Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am 28-year-old. When I was of 7-year-old, I met with an accident and got stitches above my right eyebrow. And now it has turned to be a scar which is not removed by any cream. I tried Mederma too. But it did not work at all. Kindly suggest something for it as I am getting married and it is creating a lot of problems now.

#

I understand your concern. But there are no attached photographs in your message. Kindly send a picture of the affected area to assess the condition and suggest the appropriate diagnosis and treatment. Please get back for further help.

I have sent you a picture of the affected area. Kindly help me.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

I have seen the picture attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). The type of scar you have is known as an atrophic or depressed scar. Most of the topical creams do not work in atrophic scars.

But there are a lot of surgical options available for atrophic scars, including scar revision, excision, chemical peeling reconstruction, CO2 (carbon dioxide) laser, microdermabrasion, etc.

The thing with these treatments is that you need to visit a dermatologist in person. Treatment can take multiple sessions few weeks apart. The best course of option can only be decided after meeting a dermatologist in person, weighing risks and benefits.

But yes, the appearance of the scar can be improved significantly with few sessions of CO2 laser or dermabrasion or a combination of treatment options mentioned above.

I hope this was helpful.

|