Q. My brother suffers from sciatica pain for a long period with restricted movement. Kindly help.

Answered by
Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 18, 2020

Hi doctor,

My brother has been suffering from sciatica for a long while now. He gets flare-ups where he cannot move very much without being in pain. He tried massages from specialists and some cushions, but they do not seem to work very well. He is 26 years old but is stubborn to get help as he feels like there is nothing he can do to help himself. He sometimes gets a swollen back from the slipped disks causing sciatica. He finds that a strong version of deep heat, which I found in a Chinese herbal medicine store, helps for a short while. However, he likes to play games but has had to start playing lying down on the floor as he cannot tolerate sitting on a chair without getting pain. He has also resorted to sleeping on the floor to avoid back pain, with a special pillow to help elevate his legs from the floor.

I wondered what advice I could get on managing his sciatica pain, as he is a mechanic, he needs his mobility to work. Any special pillows or anything that could help him would be great, as I am tired of seeing him in pain. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

At 26, especially if the pain has been persisting for a long while (5 years as you write) and affecting work and mobility indoors, it is a matter of concern. The only good thing that I gather from the notes is that you mention no weakness or numbness.

Now coming to your issues. Pain with activity restriction is often the primary reason for getting surgery if the symptoms have persisted for more than three months. Before surgery, an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) is needed to give some insight into why the pain is persistent. Large discs often resolve after causing symptoms, while small and foraminal bulges cause persisting irritation of the nerve root and often fail conservative treatment.

I will recommend that an MRI be done and, in the meantime, take the following tablets.

Take Pregabalin 75 mg twice daily for three to four weeks minimum, tablet Duloxetine 30 mg daily starting dose, and a 40-60 mg maintenance dose. This will help with keeping the pain from becoming chronic and unresponsive.

In addition, you can try directed steroid injection after the MRI is done. Please let me know once the MRI is done and take the tablets regularly. Also, note that Pregabalin makes one feel a bit sleepy, so working as a mechanic may not be advisable. The pillow should keep the knee flexed to relieve the pressure on the nerve.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can epidural anesthesia cause sciatica, neuralgia and migraines?

Query: Hello doctor, 12 years ago I gave birth to my first baby. I was healthy when I walked in and then, not even for a single day I felt well. When I was given my epidural, my heart rate shot up to 150 and you could see it beating from the outside. They took it out and replaced it. The anesthesiologist ...  Read Full »

Does opiate withdrawal cause nausea, low BP, muscle pain and urea smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40-year-old female recovering from eating disorder. My BMI is 16. I am suffering from clinical depression and GAD. I was diagnosed by a neurologist with migraines approximately two years ago, and have been on Lyrica 75 mg twice daily. Recently, I started having trouble swallowi...  Read Full »

Is Cymbalta good for depersonalization?

Query: Hi doctor,Is Cymbalta good for depersonalization? I want some tips to overcome this. Also, how to get rid of apathy?  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Spine Health Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.