Q. What can I do to straighten my curved lumbar spine and un-cant hips?

Answered by Dr. James F Geiselman and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Scoliosis or Exercises? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 19-year-old male. Around two months back, I had a hiccup when dead-lifting and my lower back or lumbar spine area had a sharp pain. At the time, I did not think much of it and since then discontinued dead-lifts. Over time, I have developed some sciatica in my left hamstring area. I visited a chiropractor about two weeks ago and he took X-rays of my spine, revealing that my lumbar spine is curved to the right, canting my hips and therefore putting pressure on my sciatic nerve. I went in for three adjustments with him, over a one and half week span. I no longer have access to my chiropractor, being that I am overseas. My question is what can I do by myself in order to straighten out my lumbar spine and un-cant my hips so that my sciatic nerve can get some relief? Am I going to have to find another chiropractor and get more adjustments while I am over here? Note that the discomfort of sciatica only happens with a straight left leg when bending at the waist.