Q. What can I do to straighten my curved lumbar spine and un-cant hips?

Dr. James F Geiselman
Published on Jun 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2019

I am a 19-year-old male. Around two months back, I had a hiccup when dead-lifting and my lower back or lumbar spine area had a sharp pain. At the time, I did not think much of it and since then discontinued dead-lifts. Over time, I have developed some sciatica in my left hamstring area. I visited a chiropractor about two weeks ago and he took X-rays of my spine, revealing that my lumbar spine is curved to the right, canting my hips and therefore putting pressure on my sciatic nerve. I went in for three adjustments with him, over a one and half week span. I no longer have access to my chiropractor, being that I am overseas. My question is what can I do by myself in order to straighten out my lumbar spine and un-cant my hips so that my sciatic nerve can get some relief? Am I going to have to find another chiropractor and get more adjustments while I am over here? Note that the discomfort of sciatica only happens with a straight left leg when bending at the waist.

#

Based on what you wrote, it sounds as though you may have scoliosis, a wedged vertebrae in the lumbar spine, a disc issue, or even lower cross syndrome. If there is any way to attach images of the X-rays, that would be ideal (though I know the current situation is not ideal).

Assuming it is indeed a scoliosis curvature, I can tell you that you will not be able to straighten your spine (anatomically speaking). If it is a lower cross syndrome, your best bet while you are overseas is to work on core stabilization exercises. Bridge exercises, planks, and clams may all be beneficial to the lumbopelvic-hip-complex. All of these exercises can be found online, but essentially we want to strengthen the weak muscles and relax the overactive muscle. Please get the help of internet resources to have a knowledge of lower cross syndrome to get an idea of what muscles may be overactive and underactive. Without examining you myself, or seeing X-rays, this is about all of the information I can provide. When you return to your place, I would recommend continuing treatment with your chiropractor.

For more information consult a chiropractor online.--> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/chiropractor

Adding Flaxseed to Your Diet

Article Overview: Flaxseeds (also called linseeds) are a rich source of micronutrients, dietary fiber, manganese, vitamin B1, and the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid, also known as ALA or omega-3. Flaxseed is a source of healthy fat, antioxidants, and fiber. Modern research has found evidence to suggest that flaxseed also helps lower the risk of diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. Read Article

Flaxseeds also called as alsi in Hindi has many benefits indeed. Lowering Cholesterol Flaxseeds help lower bad cholesterol levels, that is, low-density lipoprotein and very low-density lipoprotein in your body and helps improve good cholesterol, that is, high-density lipoprotein. It can be consume...  Read Article

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full »

Everything You Need to Know About Osteoarthritis

Article Overview: Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease, which is always characterized by both, the degeneration of articular cartilage and simultaneous proliferation of new bones, cartilage, and connective tissue. It is not a single disease rather it is the result of various joint failure Read Article

Dr. Sheshadev Senapati

Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease, which is always characterized by both, the degeneration of articular cartilage and simultaneous proliferation of new bones, cartilage, and connective tissue. It is not a single disease rather it is the result of various joint failure. The proliferative...  Read Article

Ask a Chiropractor Now