Q. Please advice the relation between urine drug test and hair follicle test.

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Published on Aug 08, 2019

I am trying to figure out the conversation between levels on a urine drug test and a hair follicle test. For example,

Urine test: 505 ng/ml THCA.

Hair test: 5.95 pg/mg THCA .

If there were 32.6 ng/ml cocaine metabolite detected in a urine test, how might that show in a hair drug test? There seems to be a correlation between the THCA levels, but I cannot figure out what the connection might be?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

In the urine, the metabolites are detected as it is directly coming out from the blood. I mean, it gives a day to day excretion of the metabolite, that is directly proportional to the amount of the specific drug or metabolite in the blood. Whereas, the metabolites or drugs in the hair tells the history of any drug or chemical usage. As we know, the growth of hair is very, minimal daily.

Certain chemicals or drugs or metabolites can get accumulated in the hair on a long term basis. So, if we could find the THCA (tetrahydrocannabinolic acid) in hair, it is telling the past blood concentration or usage of the THCA. Thus, the hair value may not usually proportional to urine values. I hope I have answered.

| 

Is it safe to use Minoxidil continuously for male pattern baldness?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from male pattern baldness along with dandruff. Because of dandruff, I keep on itching my scalp. I consulted a doctor, and she recommended me to use Betamethasone dipropionate and Zinc sulphate lotion along with Adgain capsule and a mild medicated shampoo. I used these prod...  Read Full »

My HSV 1 and 2 IgG is 3.5. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I am about to get married. I have got my STD and HIV tests done and the below mentioned has come as a result. The following are non reactive or negative: VDRL, HIV 1 and 2, antibodies screening test, chlamydia trachomatis IgG antibody and TPHA including HSV ...  Read Full »

Passed a large number of clots on my regular period. Could it be a miscarriage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old and sexually active. Last month, I anticipated getting pregnant and hence, was sexually active during my ovulation. I started having funny symptoms like bloating, cravings and headache. I so much felt like I was pregnant. A day before my expected date of the period (27th...  Read Full »

Ask a Toxicologist Now