Q. I feel little pain and discomfort in the scrotal area when I do not wear underwear. Is this epididymitis?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

My scrotal area is a little painful especially if I do not wear underwear. The pain is felt specifically on the vein surrounding the testicle. I believe that is the epididymis. Can you please advise if I have to go to the hospital or if I can get prescription medicine.

#

Epididymoorchitis is a painful condition and not really mild pain. It is associated with inflammation and swelling to variable size and might be associated with hydrocele collection of water around the testis. Other related condition with mild pain is varicocele which is dilated veins around your testis but varicocele usually do not have white cells in urine. The problem can be combined as well.

For diagnosis history and examination are really important. Did this pain started suddenly or gradually? Was it severe then reduced to mild? Did this problem happened before, do you have any urinary complaints or difficulties passing urine? Did you have a urine culture done? Are you sexually active? Any blood in urine or ejaculation?

On further investigations, you will need ultrasound scrotum it can diagnose epididymoorchitis or varicocele and hydrocele with good accuracy. In addition, send me the urine report if you have otherwise you need urine analysis and culture. If you have urethral discharge or you are sexually active then I need to do more tests for that.

Please get back to me with answers and ultrasound then I can advise for further investigations and management plans.

The pain started gradually. I think it has started a few months ago but the pain is tolerable to almost none. I just felt more discomfort probably in the last two to three weeks radiating from the scrotum and it can be felt in the urinary bladder area or lower back. I pass urine normally and no pain. But I think there is a little discharge because when urine splatters over the toilet, there is something yellowish when it gets dried. I will try to get my urine test.

#

If there is discharge from urethra you need to do a swab for culture and gonococcal, chlamydia. If you are sexually active with unprotected intercourse you need to add blood tests of Hepatitis B, C, syphilis, and HIV.

Investigations for sexually transmitted infections need to be done for both partners. Please get back with results for me to decide on the treatment.

| 

Why does my testicle hurt after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I had unprotected sex last week. It was a three-hour long session and I was a little sore afterward but felt totally fine the next few days. Then, three days ago, I noticed a slight pain in my balls and the discomfort has continued until today. It is most pain...  Read Full »

Urine is coming out from the testes. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I have been suffering from a few health problems for many years. I think that I have some problems with my testicles. They hang low, feel sensitive, and sometimes they pain (mild) when they get any push. Two months ago, I also had an ultrasound and color Doppler. Everyt...  Read Full »

What can be done for erectile dysfunction with grade 1 varicocele?

Query: Hi doctor,My T hormone is 157 dl and prolactin is 22. My sperm is 28 million and normal morphology. The scan showed normal testis size but grade l varicocele both sides but I have erection dysfunction and no sensation in my penis.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»