Q. I feel little pain and discomfort in the scrotal area when I do not wear underwear. Is this epididymitis?

Answered by
Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2020

Hello doctor,

My scrotal area is a little painful especially if I do not wear underwear. The pain is felt specifically on the vein surrounding the testicle. I believe that is the epididymis. Can you please advise if I have to go to the hospital or if I can get prescription medicine.



Welcome to

Epididymoorchitis is a painful condition and not really mild pain. It is associated with inflammation and swelling to variable size and might be associated with hydrocele collection of water around the testis. Other related condition with mild pain is varicocele which is dilated veins around your testis but varicocele usually do not have white cells in urine. The problem can be combined as well.

For diagnosis history and examination are really important. Did this pain started suddenly or gradually? Was it severe then reduced to mild? Did this problem happened before, do you have any urinary complaints or difficulties passing urine? Did you have a urine culture done? Are you sexually active? Any blood in urine or ejaculation?

On further investigations, you will need ultrasound scrotum it can diagnose epididymoorchitis or varicocele and hydrocele with good accuracy. In addition, send me the urine report if you have otherwise you need urine analysis and culture. If you have urethral discharge or you are sexually active then I need to do more tests for that.

Please get back to me with answers and ultrasound then I can advise for further investigations and management plans.

Thank you doctor,

The pain started gradually. I think it has started a few months ago but the pain is tolerable to almost none. I just felt more discomfort probably in the last two to three weeks radiating from the scrotum and it can be felt in the urinary bladder area or lower back. I pass urine normally and no pain. But I think there is a little discharge because when urine splatters over the toilet, there is something yellowish when it gets dried. I will try to get my urine test.



Welcome back to

If there is discharge from urethra you need to do a swab for culture and gonococcal, chlamydia. If you are sexually active with unprotected intercourse you need to add blood tests of Hepatitis B, C, syphilis, and HIV.

Investigations for sexually transmitted infections need to be done for both partners. Please get back with results for me to decide on the treatment.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can urine get trapped into the testes and cause pain?

Two months ago, I also had an ultrasound and color Doppler ... Do I need an ultrasound of scrotum ...   Read full

What could the pain in my scrotum in the spermatic cord region be?

This month, I had pain in my scrotum in the right spermatic cord region above the testicle ... A week ago, I had masturbation and I had pain at the same place in the scrotum ...   Read full

I have pain and edema after being hit in the scrotum. Will my fertility be affected?

I underwent an ultrasound and my report reads:Minimal hydrocele found ... Now after two months, I went for an ultrasound again ... Hello doctor,I got hit in the right scr...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.