Q. What can the open sore on head be?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

My husband has an open sore on his head. It is the size of a softball with redness under it and it is causing a shocking pain into his ear. It is swollen and has caused soreness in his neck and swollen adenoids. It looks like it has mucus or pus, which is trying to come out, but nothing does. He has been squeezing it like a pimple and soaking it with hot water and Epsom salt. Previously he got bit by a spider twice and the wound had to be cut open and drained, but it has never got like this before. I can send pictures for your reference.

#

• It just appears (attachment removed to protect patient identity) to be an infected sebaceous cyst that is infected now.
  • I see you have tried to drain it. It should be seen by a physician ideally either in an urgent care or dermatologist or by a surgeon as soon as possible. They will have to remove the capsule of the cyst.
  • He would also need antibiotics treatment for it since it looks infected.
  • I would not suggest delaying it. It is not an acute emergency, but it is a relative urgent matter.

Infected sebaceous cyst developing an abscess.

Excision of the cyst and antibiotic treatment preferably Keflex (Cefalexin), Bactrim (comprises of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) or Doxycycline.

For further information consult a internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

These two small bumps suddenly turned big. Is this a sebaceous cyst?

Query: Hello doctor,I spoke to a dermatologist on here. I had two small bumps about 2 to 3 mm in size ever since I was younger and I am confident it is not a sexually transmitted disease. They were on the tip of the foreskin of the penis. Just two days ago, they started getting big. It never bothered me be...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »