Q. I have a mole on my ear which started peeling and flaking like dandruff. What should I do?

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

I have always had a mole on my ear. It started peeling and flaking like dandruff. I noticed the peeling a week ago. There is no itching and bleeding, and there is no change in shape. But I am concerned about the peeling. I do have dandruff, but not sure if this would be on a mole.

#

I understand your concern. But there are no attached photographs in your message. Kindly send a picture of the affected area to assess the condition and to suggest you the appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

I have attached photographs. Kindly look at the picture and suggest the appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

#

From the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient's identity), there is scaling in a nevus and is most likely because of seborrheic dermatitis (mild inflammation and scaling because of dandruff). Use Ketoconazole 2% shampoo (Nizoral) for the scalp and use some moisturizer for the scaling over the mole. Have you noticed any change in the color? Or was it always of this hue? Meyerson phenomenon is a condition in which a pre-existing mole can develop mild scaling and eczematous reaction, but there is not much to worry about it. Any change in color and thickness should be noted.

|