iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologyseborrheic dermatitisIs seborrheic dermatitis treatable?

I have a red ring-like rash on my upper lip for a week. How to get rid of it?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At May 11, 2021
Reviewed AtAugust 31, 2023

Patient's Query

I have a strange red circle on the top of my lip. It is not as noticeable as when it first appeared a week ago, but I can still see it. Is it eczema or what? Will some form of ointment sort it out?

Can you please send some more good-quality photographs taken in natural light from different angles and distances? Also, do you have any other symptoms? Please revert with details so that I can help you. Thanks.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply. I am attaching the photographs for your reference. I have no other symptoms except for the red ring on the upper lip, hard to see, but I do not think it will go away.

Thanks for sharing good photographs (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). It is going in favor of seborrheic dermatitis. It is a widespread disorder characterized by scaly patches over the mustache area, paranasal area, and eyebrows. I would advise you to use Desowen cream (Desonide) twice daily for two weeks, and if not subsided by it, we may need to start oral steroid and oral antifungal. This disease is caused by some immune alteration along with a common fungus known as Malassezia. Regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dermatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dermatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy