Q. Is it common to feel dizzy while switching from Phenytoin to Briviact?

Dr. Rajyaguru
Published on Dec 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I recently tried switching medicines from Phenytoin to Briviact. Last night, was the first time I tried it. I am transitioning off the Phenytoin. I became dizzy, disoriented and felt very weird. I have not had a seizure in the last 9 years. But, I was not ready to go off the medicines, since I do a lot of traveling. My neurologist recommended to try a new medication with less side effects. Is this a common experience while switching Phenytoin to Briviact? I took it last night at 9.30 and I am still feeling out of it and irritable. I have never had this side effect from the Phenytoin.

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Surgery
#

• Drowsiness and sleepiness are the most common side effect of the Briviact (Brivaracetam).
  • Usually, this side effect will get reduced over three to four days. If it does not improve, then I think you should switch back to Phenytoin. 
  • As you said, there were no seizures for 9 years, then it is a time to wean off your medicines.
  • I am sure that your doctor would have done an EEG (electroencephalogram) for you and there would be a plan to wean off the medicines if the EEG is normal.
  • If the side effects do not reduce over three to four days, you can switch back to Phenytoin and then gradually taper it under periodic EEG monitoring.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Ibuprofen

Article Overview: Ibuprofen belongs to NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) group which act on the substances in the body that are responsible for inflammation and its signs and symptoms. Thus, it prevents swelling, pain, and fever. Read Article

Dr. Divya Banu M
General Medicine Physician

Ibuprofen When the pain gets unbearable, it is the medicine that we turn to. One of the most commonly available or prescribed painkillers is Ibuprofen which is available in the brand names of Brufen, Nurofen, Motrin, and Advil. Introduction of Ibuprofen Ibuprofen belongs to NSAIDs (non-steroidal ...  Read Article

How to stop taking the drug Suboxone?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had about a six years dependency on the drug Suboxone. I do not abuse it, but I have tried several times to taper or wean. I have a white-collar high profile job and I really need to get this off to avoid problems in the future. Do you have any recommendations to get this off? I w...  Read Full »

Is there any epilepsy that does not cause physical seizures?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a wide array of mental symptoms for around nine years. Some years ago, I went to see a neurologist. He took an EEG, and found "epileptiform activity", I think in temporal lobes. So he said I have epilepsy and prescribed Valproate. He said my depersonalisation...  Read Full »