Q. Why do I have periodic episodes of dizziness and seizures?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

I have had periodic episodes of dizziness with lower extremity numbness or tingling off and on for the last few weeks. Some limb heaviness happened last night, and my husband and medical practitioner found me in what sounds to be a seizure and was alert and oriented (A and O x2). I have no history of such. CT showed brain atrophy advanced for age, otherwise standard. That same or the next day, bilateral lower calves were tight and painful, and I could not flatten my feet completely. It is resolving now. Slept for about 16 -18 hours a day for two to three days post-episode. Also, intermittent episodes lasting a few seconds of numbness on the tip of my nose. It has been newer over the last few months and happens a couple of times a week.

I have a history of depression, anxiety, concentration, and focus issues. I also have a history of papilledema that did not require any treatment, just monitoring. My vision has been progressively blurry for years, so I do not know it is acutely related. My husband reports my forgetfulness, etc. but nothing major to mention. I have been taking Prozac, Wellbutrin for the past ten years, and Concerta for a year. I am concerned about multiple sclerosis. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. I would like to explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to any severe neurological disorders. Thyroid gland dysfunction or orthostatic hypotension may lead to this symptomatology. For this reason, I would suggest measuring your blood pressure values in sitting and standing up positions. If your blood pressure values drop while standing up, I suggest performing a head-up tilt test for orthostatic hypotension. I suggest you check blood electrolytes and thyroid hormone levels. I do not think you need to complete any MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

Thank you for the reply.

My lab work was within normal limits, including cardiac enzymes and thyroid. Electrocardiogram test shows normal. The test shows harmful orthostatic hypotension. I did bite my tongue pretty bad during this episode which I did not realize until after. It leads me further to believe it is neuro-related. The calf issue is due to spasticity but not well-versed in its presentation. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. From your description, I conclude that you have had an epilepsy seizure. For this reason, I suggest performing an EEG (electroencephalography) and a brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and discussing these with your doctor on these tests.

|