Q. Why does my son refuse to have a sibling?

Dr. Akanksha Sharma

My wife is five weeks pregnant and it is the second time. Our first kid is now 6-1/2 years old. He is totally refusing to have a sibling. He makes statements like "I do not want a brother or a sister. We are a good family like this." He says it is not a good idea to have a baby. He does not want his mother to be fat and have a big tummy. We did not tell him yet that my wife is pregnant. How can we deal with this and would this affect him psychologically?

#

What you are describing your child is normal insecurity of the first born child.

Whenever there is a second baby expected due to the constant attention which the coming baby gets, the first child gets insecure and feels unsafe as young children have a different mindset.

They feel that their parents will be snatched away from him.

Also when the second child is born, the elder one craves for more attention from the parents. This is also called as sibling rivalry.

You need to ensure your elder child that he will be loved and taken care of as earlier.

You need to explain him about his responsibilities about the second child that he is also responsible to take care of the younger child.

When you make your child responsible with affection, this fear will slowly go away.

For more information consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

|