Q. How long will it take to get normal breathing after septoplasty and turbinate reduction?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

How long does it take for breathing to feel normal after septoplasty/ turbinate reduction? I had the surgery three months back, and my nose still feels stiff and breathing dry and cold at times. Please help.

#

It usually takes two weeks maximum for you to get back to normal. It largely depends on for what the septoplasty and turbinate reduction have been performed. If you were having allergic issues earlier, along with which a deviated nasal septum and turbinate hypertrophy, then plain surgery will be of no benefit unless you follow precautionary measures such as avoiding dust, etc.

Suppose no associated allergic problems and surgery have been done just for nasal obstruction due to anatomical deviation and no functional cause. In that case, you should get relieved within two weeks of surgery. Suppose there is no relief of recurrent obstruction as earlier. In that case, there is a possibility of under correction of the deviated part in the nose, and it is still contributing to the nasal obstruction as it was before surgery.

I am sure you have been given saline nasal drops to keep the nose moist. Usually, it is the crusts that accumulate and provide the obstructed feel. Use the nasal saline drops as much as possible for atleast a month.

If you continue to feel obstruction even after a month, you should certainly visit your operating surgeon to get this problem re-evaluated.

| 

My 1.1 years old baby often gets cold and cough. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 1.1 years old and she weights around 8.5 kg. For the last couple of months she gets cold and cough for every 10 days. We are not using any medication. Let us know if we have to get her tested. Is this is really a concern. Apart from this, she is very active and has no oth...  Read Full »

Is any diagnostic checkup needed for cold and cough in a 2 month old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-month-old baby girl child is suffering from cold for the past four days. There is a very little bit of coughing occasionally. There are some wheeziness from the nose also. She is moving her neck very often to both sides. I used Mucolite drops eight drops BD, Etolin PD syrup - 1.5...  Read Full »

I am sick with cough and wheeze. How to get cured?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 22 years old female, with 5'5" height and I weight 60.5 kg. I have been sick for the past seven days, and my symptoms have not seemed to have gone away. I was given antibiotics (Amoxicillin) as well. I was to know where to go from here I can tell you what my symptoms are,1. Coughin...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»