I had a septoplasty a few years back. Now, I have some blockage on the left side. Kindly help.

Q. Should I consult my ENT, as I am still doing six-month follow-ups to find a solution for the blockage?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 05, 2023 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2023

I had a septoplasty a few years back to correct a deviated septum. My nose deviated to the right at the time, so my right side was blocked. The septum has been corrected; however, I am now blocked on the left side. The right side is now really good. My ENT specialist has advised that the septum is straight. However, the mucosa is inflaming to a point where the left is constantly blocked. Pressurized environments also affect my breathing on the left, such as being in cars and airplanes. My ENT has told me that my mucosa was always susceptible to rhinitis. However, by moving my septum more to the left, the inflammation that was not an issue for the left is now an issue. It can be good because there are points where my breathing is fantastic, but these are short occasions. Can you recommend anything I can ask my ENT to do, as I am still doing six-month follow-ups to find a solution? Thank you.

#

If the septum is in the midline and the problem is due to congestion or inflammation on the left side, you can try nasal douching with saline solution and use steroid nasal spray. This should give you lasting relief. I have gone through the pictures sent by you (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). They appear congested. Some crusts and mucus are present. These should improve with the douching and spray. After that, you can visit your ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist. Thank you.

|