iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOtolaryngology (E.N.T)septoplastyI had a septoplasty a few years back. Now, I have some blockage on the left side. Kindly help.

Should I consult my ENT, as I am still doing six-month follow-ups to find a solution for the blockage?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 5, 2023
Reviewed AtSeptember 10, 2023

Patient's Query

I had a septoplasty a few years back to correct a deviated septum. My nose deviated to the right at the time, so my right side was blocked. The septum has been corrected; however, I am now blocked on the left side. The right side is now really good. My ENT specialist has advised that the septum is straight. However, the mucosa is inflaming to a point where the left is constantly blocked. Pressurized environments also affect my breathing on the left, such as being in cars and airplanes. My ENT has told me that my mucosa was always susceptible to rhinitis. However, by moving my septum more to the left, the inflammation that was not an issue for the left is now an issue. It can be good because there are points where my breathing is fantastic, but these are short occasions. Can you recommend anything I can ask my ENT to do, as I am still doing six-month follow-ups to find a solution? Thank you.

If the septum is in the midline and the problem is due to congestion or inflammation on the left side, you can try nasal douching with saline solution and use steroid nasal spray. This should give you lasting relief. I have gone through the pictures sent by you (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). They appear congested. Some crusts and mucus are present. These should improve with the douching and spray. After that, you can visit your ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

allergic rhinitisseptoplasty

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy