Q. What is the cause of itching that resolves for a few days with medication and comes back?

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am 49 years old. For the last one and a half years, I have been suffering from itching all over my body, especially in my hands and feet. When it was very itchy, I used to take Prog 1O. Then it did not itch for a few days and started again after a while.

#

I understand your concern.

You did not mention that if there are any skin lesions anywhere on the body.

The investigation attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) does not show any significant abnormalities.

• Anyone else in your family has a similar complaint?
  • Are there any skin lesions when itching, or are they always absent?
  • Any relation to weather change, sun exposure, or any other precipitating factor?

Please let me know in the free follow-up.

It will help in understanding your situation better.

Take care.

Thanks for your reply.

I do not get skin lesions when itching, and no member in my family has a similar complaint. It also does not react to any weather change, sun exposure, or any other precipitating factor.

#

Thanks for answering the queries.

There are few possibilities.

Sometimes pruritus can be of unknown origin when the specific cause cannot be ascertained.

Urticaria is another possibility but usually presents with weals. The control for few days when you take the tablet indicates this possibility.

Xerosis is a condition when there is generalized skin dryness.

Take the following medicines for three weeks and revert after that.

1. Tablet Dazit-M 10 (Desloratadine and Montelukast) once at night.

2. Cetaphil moisturizing lotion twice a day.

3. Tablet Ivermectin 12 mg once a week for 2 weeks.

Take care.

|