Q. We had sex within 10 days of my abortion. I am bleeding now. Am I pregnant again?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Published on Apr 03, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 29, 2018

I recently got an abortion done. Within 10 of it, we had sex using a condom. There was bleeding and now it has been 2 days. The bleeding has stopped, but I feel nausea and weakness just like during pregnancy. Am I pregnant again?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Andrology Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

How did you get your abortion done, by D and C (Dilatation and Curettage) or by abortion pills?

You had sex within 10 days of abortion using a condom, so the chances of another pregnancy are almost nil. But you had some heavy bleeding and feeling symptoms like that of pregnancy. Sometimes, this may happen if the abortion is not complete, i.e., some remnants may be inside. In such a case, you should do a urine pregnancy test and an ultrasound scan of the pelvis to see if the pregnancy is completely cleared or not.

Thank you doctor for your quick reply.

I had abortion pills first. But it failed, and so it was followed by a D and C. The operation was successful. I had bleeding for about five days after surgery, and then I was normal. It was all good until we had sex.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

If you had D and C which was successful, then bleeding after sex can occur once or twice. But if the bleeding occurs often, then a physical examination is required. However, you can do a urine pregnancy test at home to be assured.

What are the causes of vaginal bleeding, five years after menopause?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother was not having her periods from the past five years, but from yesterday, she started bleeding again. In these five years, she has not even bled for a single day. Why is she bleeding all of a sudden? What can be the cause?  Read Full »

I am still waiting for my periods a month after I-pill. Will I get it?

Query: Hello doctor, My periods got over on the 7th of last month. I had unprotected sex with my partner on 10th. Within three to four hours, I took I-pill. I bled exactly after one week, that is, on the 17th. The bleeding was there for four days maximum. Now, it is the 12th and I am still waiting for my ...  Read Full »

Why do I get pain and bleeding after sex with pap smear showing CIN3?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a history of back pain and pain during intercourse as well as bleeding after. My pap smear came back CIN3. What can I expect?  Read Full »