Q. We had sex within 10 days of my abortion. I am bleeding now. Am I pregnant again?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 29, 2018

I recently got an abortion done. Within 10 of it, we had sex using a condom. There was bleeding and now it has been 2 days. The bleeding has stopped, but I feel nausea and weakness just like during pregnancy. Am I pregnant again?

#

How did you get your abortion done, by D and C (Dilatation and Curettage) or by abortion pills?

You had sex within 10 days of abortion using a condom, so the chances of another pregnancy are almost nil. But you had some heavy bleeding and feeling symptoms like that of pregnancy. Sometimes, this may happen if the abortion is not complete, i.e., some remnants may be inside. In such a case, you should do a urine pregnancy test and an ultrasound scan of the pelvis to see if the pregnancy is completely cleared or not.

Thank you doctor for your quick reply.

I had abortion pills first. But it failed, and so it was followed by a D and C. The operation was successful. I had bleeding for about five days after surgery, and then I was normal. It was all good until we had sex.

#

If you had D and C which was successful, then bleeding after sex can occur once or twice. But if the bleeding occurs often, then a physical examination is required. However, you can do a urine pregnancy test at home to be assured.

|