Q. I had unprotected sex a month ago and have only had spotting since. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I had unprotected sex twice while I was ovulating around two months ago. I noticed spotting for two days around a month ago. I did some at-home pregnancy tests, which turned out to be positive. Then I again noticed spotting for two days again around four days ago. Am I pregnant? I am a 41-year-old and just had a baby around ten months ago. I stopped breastfeeding before six weeks, and my nipples are enlarged again and starting to get darker again. Am I in the perimenopause state? Or is something wrong with me only getting two days of spotting two months in a row? Please suggest me accordingly. Currently, I am taking tablets Zuclopenthixol, Olanzapine, and Breo Ellipta (Fluticasone furoate-Vilanterol).

#

I completely understand your concern and will surely help you. Most likely, you are pregnant again, and the spotting you had around a month ago was implantation bleeding. Understand that the last pregnancy has nothing much to do with a female's next chance of pregnancy, and so is the effect of breastfeeding. Although breastfeeding may reduce periods and likelihood of pregnancy, a female can get pregnant three weeks after the delivery. So my suggestion to you is to please do a blood hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test for pregnancy, and please share the outcome of the test.

Kindly observe yourself for pregnancy signs like tender breasts, nausea, and dizziness. Please tell me how many periods you had post your delivery ten months ago? Do you have any history of irregular periods? Do you suffer from PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome)? And how many pregnancies have you had so far in your life?

Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information.

Thank you so much for your help.

The answers you requested are that I have had four pregnancies and three live babies. I have tender breasts, frequent urge to pee, and dizziness, and sometimes I nearly throw up, but I swallow it instead. I have had around eight to nine periods since delivery. I have had no irregular periods or PCOS ever. I have been getting my period since I was 11 years old, except during pregnancy; that is why I have no clue this time around.

Can you please suggest me accordingly?

#

Thank you for the details and an update. See, since you have been having regular periods (eight to nine times) after your delivery, there is a high possibility of pregnancy. Further, you may immediately consider getting a blood hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test or a urine pregnancy test at home with the first urine of the day. Do not drink too much fluid before the test. Adhere to all guidelines written on the package of the pregnancy test kit, especially for the timings. The sooner we come to know of pregnancy, the better we would be able to prepare ourselves. You have already shared some signs of pregnancy that you are experiencing.

I hope this helps. Feel better soon.

|