Q. Will having intercourse during pregnancy cause any problem?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

The gynecologist told me not to have an intercourse because I was having some brown spotting but it stopped and I had a little bit of intercourse but now I am scared something happened, should I be worried?

#

Brown spotting may be due to vaginal or cervical infection. And infection can be from your partner or you can transmit to your partner. So that is the reason doctor told not to have intercourse. Continue the medicines given to you and drink more water.

She did not give me any medicine, just told me not to have sex for right now.

#

You can take Liquid Cital like syrup two times a day for 15 days. There are two reasons when we asked not to have intercourse is when we suspect infection or injury. Because both can go on increasing if intercourse continue. Minor infection can go on its own if it is just outside infection. More antibiotics may be required if it is increasing even after stoping to have intercourse. And these antibiotics can be given after having report of culture of discharge happening down there and sometimes urine report also required. So if your Gynecologist did not find much infection and if she believes that it can go by just stoping to have sex and proper hygiene than may be it is mild form. And she has seen you clinically so it is more reliable. Drink more water. Change undergarments more frequently. Clean from front to back after stool passing. Keep the vaginal area as dry as possible.

I am sorry I forgot to include I am 6 weeks pregnant.

#

If you are pregnant then basically she adviced to avoid chance of abortion which more common and can happen in first 3 months more commonly due to direct jerk on the uterus due to many reasons like intercourse, doing work while bending, heavy weight lifting , heavy exercise. And intercourse is one of them. Have to avoid for minimum 4 months. And if no problem in pregnancy till 4 months than we can think about once a week intercourse light-in nature. But up to 4 months you should avoid intercourse.

Now for pregnancy you should take folic acid tablets and may require progesterone tablets according to ultrasound scan. Will have to do dating scan in one week and according to may require to add some medicines. You may have some nausea and vomiting . For that you have to eat less spicy and less oily food. Small frequent meal.

Should I be worried about any risk of the intercourse I mentioned?

#

No, do not worry. If anything was going to happen than maight have happend already writhing 6 to 8 hours of intercourse. Just do not bother much. And do one ultrasound scan to see how is the baby growing. If baby is growing good than no need to do anything. Brown spotting was once so have to confirm on ultrasound. But if it is stopped so chances of having good pregnancy is more. So now we have the option of ultrasound only to take further actions accordingly. And take rest as far as possible. It is okay to take complete rest also. And will clear in one or two ultrasound scan.

|