Q. I am experiencing psychosis after being sexually abused for years. Please help.

Dr. Parth Singh

I am an 18 year old, and I have been sexually abused as a child for many years. I have never told anyone, and now my parents got divorced. I am experiencing numbness and psychosis symptoms, but they do not affect my daily life, and no one knows what I am going through. I wanted to know if I have a mental illness. Am I in danger of a mental illness?

#

I empathize with you.

Sexual abuse in childhood is perhaps the most brutal and tragic thing that can happen to a person. The scars of that enormous trauma never fade away.

I believe you have post-traumatic stress disorder. It is not a psychotic disorder but a neurotic (anxiety spectrum) disorder. The symptoms are:

1. Recurrent flashbacks, dreams, and images of the traumatic events.
  2. Avoidance of places or things which remind the traumatic event.
  3. Hyperarousal state.
  4. Easily startled, palpitations, sudden panic attacks, always feeling frightened and insecure.
  5. Emotional numbness.
  6. Overwhelming guilt or shame.

If you think you are suffering from the above symptoms, visit a psychiatrist at the earliest. Medicines like Paroxetine and Escitalopram are very much helpful in reducing the symptoms.

For more information consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

|