I have been on Fluoxetine for two months, and after that, I have had sexual dysfunction as a side effect. Please help.

Q. What is the treatment for sexual dsyfunction caused by Fluoxetine?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

I have been on Fluoxetine for two months. In the beginning, I had no sexual problems, but after the second or third week, I could get an erection, but I could not ejaculate. So my question is, how can I fix this problem? I know every SSRI has sexual dysfunction as a side effect, but it can be fixed with another medication or another antidepressant.

#

I understand your concern.

It is a common side effect due to SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) like Fluoxetine. You may have delayed ejaculation. You can try the tablet Cyproheptadine (Heptidine) 2 mg before having sex. It will work. If it does not work, then you can switch to another antidepressant with fewer sexual side effects, like the tablet Wellbutrin (Buproprion). Consult a specialist doctor, talk with them, and take medications with their consent. I suggest you go for a complete blood count, serum TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), serum testosterone, prolactin, vitamin B12, and vitamin D3.

I hope that you get your answer.

|