Q. Why am I not able to have a proper erection during sex?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

I am a 26-years-old man, 5'8" ft in height and 77 kg in weight. Recently I had sex with my girlfriend, but I could not have an erection. I have never had sex before, but I never faced this issue during masturbation. I am a little worried. Please help.

#

Did you have an erection after this incident? Mostly this is because of performance anxiety. Suppose you had a good erection after this; no need to worry. When you are in a hurry, stressed, anxious, you can have a poor erection. Suppose you do not have a morning erection or erection during masturbation. In that case, you may have to go for a specific investigation like blood sugar, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), lipid profile, and testosterone levels. If you have a morning erection or erection for masturbation, no investigation is usually required.

Thank you for the response. I get morning erection and erection during masturbation. I have never had any issue with this. So if there is any recommendation, please suggest me. Are any medications needed? Please advise.

#

I understand our concern, but to help you better, please answer the following:

1) What about after that incident did you have an erection?

2) Did you have a morning erection?

I had a morning erection, and I had an erection after the sex, but it was not a complete erection. There was an increase in size, but not hard enough for penetration.

#

Do you have any medical conditions like Diabetes, hypertension, Thyroid, or any other? Do you consume alcohol or tobacco?

Please provide the information above to guide you better.

No, I do not have any such medical conditions. I recently had my lipid profile and blood sugar tested for a regular checkup. It was all fine. I do not use tobacco. I drink alcohol once in a while. Please advise.

#

It is psychological erectile dysfunction. However, I suggest tablet Sildenafil 50 mg (phosphodiesterase-5(PDE-5) inhibitor) one hour before sexual intercourse next time to reduce your performance anxiety. It will help in an erection. Spend enough time in foreplay. Do not hurry. Enjoy the present moment.

How many times should I have it? Are there any side effects?

#

Take the tablet one hour before sexual intercourse. Common side effects are headache, nausea, giddiness.

It rarely causes a painful erection. I hope this helps.

Thank you for your advice.

#

Do not think about what happened in the past. Just enjoy the present, spend enough time in foreplay.

|