Q. Why am I getting headache during sex?

Dr. Parth Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

I am getting headaches during sex. Also, the pain peaks at orgasms. Please help.

#

• Headaches at peak of sex or after sex is usually associated with medicines used for erectile dysfunction like Viagra (Sildenafil).
  • Sometimes, pain at orgasm can occur without any significant disorder due to sudden change in the hemodynamics of blood supply to various organs during and after orgasm.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

I am a 46 year old male. I am not taking any medicine as you said. This is the second time I have experienced this. Severe headache, particularly at the lower back side of head and neck. It starts and increases with the sexual excitement and peaks at ejaculation. It also continues for 20 to 30 minutes after sex. What should I do? Can you suggest any medicine or physiotherapy for this? Please guide.

#

• I think you might be suffering from a rare disorder known as coital cephalgia or sexual headache.
  • It is caused due to contraction of facial, neck and upper back muscles during the peak of sexual excitement and orgasm.
  • Although, it is a benign disorder with no complications, it can be disturbing the couple.
  • I recommend you to get a contrast enhanced CT scan done to rule out any other significant intracranial lesion.
  • You will be benefitted by taking tablet Inderal-LA (Propranolol) 40 mg and tablet Indocap (Indomethacin) 25 mg, both in the evening. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him and take the medicine with consent.

For further doubts consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|