Q. I am concerned about STD after fingering a sex worker. Please advise.

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

I fingered a sex worker and now I am concerned if I had any exposure to HIV or other STDS as I may have had a small wound on my finger. Please advise.

#

The chances of transmission of HIV by the given description are almost nil unless there are open wounds.

What would you define as an open wound?

#

If the wound is bleeding, not healed then there are chances of it to act as a portal of entry of HIV. If healed, the chances are nil. Further skin of palms and soles are thick, which also acts as a natural barrier. Intact skin acts as a barrier and prevents the entry for HIV.

How about a wound that was not bleeding, rather a scratch?

#

It depends on the depth of the scratch, site of the scratch, and contact with infected fluid or blood. If superficial without any bleeding points the chances are almost nil. If deeper with bleeding points, the transmission is possible if exposed to infective fluid or blood.

Palms and soles usually have thicker skin, and chances of transmission by simple scratches would be almost nil. If healed scratches, then also chances will be very low. If the lady is HIV negative, there is no chance of transmission of HIV.

|