Q. What is meant by shaken baby syndrome?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

I have a question about newborn health. Specifically shaken baby syndrome. Please help.

#

The shaken baby syndrome may not be the correct term, I feel. The shaken baby syndrome is a form of physical abuse that may be done to the baby. As regards the discomfort from gas in babies, the best way possible without using medications is to reduce the use of bottle feeding. This is because the air in the bottle may cause the baby to swallow more air along with the feed. You can also use the 4S technique to calm a baby down (when the baby is crying for any reason). For example, you can sing, swing, swaddle, and let the baby suckle to calm them down.

I hope you find it helpful.

Kind regards.

|