Q. Does Ayurvedic massage help to remove toxins from the body?

Dr. Swati Totla

Does Ayurvedic massage help to remove toxins from the tissues? Do they help to remove toxins from the body through the skin? Which organs are used to eliminate the toxins from the body?

#

Ayurvedic massage loosens the toxins from the body, and by a steam bath, it will get eliminated from the body in the form of sweat. The therapy used to remove toxins from the body is called panchakarma which includes five procedures. First one is called Vamana karma which is also known as medical emesis. Virechan is one of the panchakarma therapy where the toxins are eliminated in the form of loose motion.

Basti is the other form of panchakarma therapy where different types of enema are used. Nasya is a kind of panchakarma treatment where the oil is poured in the nostrils. Raktamokshan is a procedure of bloodletting. These therapies will help to remove toxins from the body through mouth, anus, skin, and nostrils in the form of motion, vomiting, sweating, cough, and bleeding.

My doctor is giving me ayurvedic massage and Shirodhara at the same time. I have not done a steam bath. I have arthritis and anger issues. I am confused. How do the toxins are cleansed from my body? What do you think?

#

Shirodhara is also useful to remove toxins. It is helpful for anger issues and to keep the mind calm. But for arthritis, there is no use of doing Shirodhara. If the doctor is giving body massage, steam bath is also required for arthritis.

Please say about the type of arthritis you have whether it is osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic or gouty arthritis. The treatment plan is different for different types of arthritis. Basti, vaman or virechan will work for different arthritis.

I have osteoarthritis.

#

In osteoarthritis, steam bath is beneficial after the massage. After a steam bath, we give an enema of medicated decoction and medicated oil for eight or sixteen or thirty days for a patient. If your appetite and digestion are good, and the motion is regular, you can use Ksheerabala capsule or Para plus one capsule twice a day after food for three months. It is an oil based capsule which is useful for repairing the joints.

|