Q. Does Ayurvedic massage help to remove toxins from the body?

Dr. Swati Totla

Does Ayurvedic massage help to remove toxins from the tissues? Do they help to remove toxins from the body through the skin? Which organs are used to eliminate the toxins from the body?

Dr. Swati Totla

#

Ayurvedic massage loosens the toxins from the body, and by a steam bath, it will get eliminated from the body in the form of sweat. The therapy used to remove toxins from the body is called panchakarma which includes five procedures. First one is called Vamana karma which is also known as medical emesis. Virechan is one of the panchakarma therapy where the toxins are eliminated in the form of loose motion.

Basti is the other form of panchakarma therapy where different types of enema are used. Nasya is a kind of panchakarma treatment where the oil is poured in the nostrils. Raktamokshan is a procedure of bloodletting. These therapies will help to remove toxins from the body through mouth, anus, skin, and nostrils in the form of motion, vomiting, sweating, cough, and bleeding.

| 

My doctor is giving me ayurvedic massage and Shirodhara at the same time. I have not done a steam bath. I have arthritis and anger issues. I am confused. How do the toxins are cleansed from my body? What do you think?

Dr. Swati Totla

#

Shirodhara is also useful to remove toxins. It is helpful for anger issues and to keep the mind calm. But for arthritis, there is no use of doing Shirodhara. If the doctor is giving body massage, steam bath is also required for arthritis.

Please say about the type of arthritis you have whether it is osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic or gouty arthritis. The treatment plan is different for different types of arthritis. Basti, vaman or virechan will work for different arthritis.

| 

I have osteoarthritis.

Dr. Swati Totla

#

In osteoarthritis, steam bath is beneficial after the massage. After a steam bath, we give an enema of medicated decoction and medicated oil for eight or sixteen or thirty days for a patient. If your appetite and digestion are good, and the motion is regular, you can use Ksheerabala capsule or Para plus one capsule twice a day after food for three months. It is an oil based capsule which is useful for repairing the joints.

| 

What ayurvedic medicines can be taken to reduce fibroid?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 27 years old. I am unmarried. Three years ago, I have undergone a myomectomy and a large fibroid was removed. Since then, I am fine. For the past one month, I am bleeding again with pain. Now, the scan showed more than three intramural fibroids. One largest fibroid measuring...  Read Full »

What is the Ayurvedic treatment for early multiple sclerosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have early multiple sclerosis. I feel tired and loss of concentration, and tingling sensation on the face for the last two years. What is the treatment? I am currently taking Brufen.  Read Full »

Ayurvedic Approach to Manage Depression

Article Overview: In Ayurveda, depression is believed to be caused by vitiated Doshas in the brain. Learn about the types of depression and ayurvedic treatment for the same. Read Article

Dr. Alka

Whenever we hear the word depression, an image of the person comes to our mind, who is hopeless, unhappy, sad, miserable and living in a cocoon. Depression is a very common, but severe psychological disorder affecting a significant number of people worldwide. In a few countries, people remain undia...  Read Article

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now