Q. I have shortness of breath with fast heart rate and fatigue. Kindly help.

Dr. Zubayeralam

I have shortness of breath with a fast heart rate, weakness, or fatigue. Please help.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from shortness of breath, fast heart rate, weakness, or fatigue.

According to the CXR (chest x-ray) film that is provided here (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you may suffer from a pulmonary lesion on the lower lobe of the right lung due to infections or any underlying conditions. Do you suffer from a cough?

Some investigations like CT (computed tomography) chest, ECG (electrocardiography), CBC (complete blood count), RBS (random blood sugar), etc., may help you to detect the exact culprit for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly.

I have no cough. I have only weakness and shortness of breath, and a fast heart rate. I am feeling very fatigued. ECG was done, and it was normal. CBC and ESR were also done. Hb is 11.

#

In the case of rapid heartbeat, ECG (electrocardiography) has shown sinus tachycardia, but your ECG was normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to your statement, as you have shortness of breath, you can undergo some investigations like CT chest, reversibility test, pulmonary function test, oxygen saturation rate by a pulse oximeter, etc., to exclude any underlying respiratory diseases.

Again, as your Hb level is 11, you are anemic. In case of anemia, clinical features like weakness, shortness of breath, fatigue, fast heartbeat, etc., may be present.

So, the improvement of anemic status may help to disappear your present sufferings. For this reason, you should take iron-enriched foods or supplements daily and do a repeat CBC report one month later. If anemia is cured your present sufferings like weakness, fatigue, shortness of breath, vertigo, rapid heart rate, etc will subside eventually. So do not be worried at all. Try to concentrate on improving your Hb level by taking iron and vitamin B complex enriched foods or supplements.

|