Q. Can massage worsen shoulder pain caused by muscle spasms and tapered nerve?

Dr. Atul Prakash

I am 39-years-old female. I am obese. I have pain in my left trapezius muscle, shoulder, between the shoulder blades, and the left arm with muscle spasms and trapped nerve. I am taking tablet Aripiprazole for schizoaffective disorder and I had chinese pain massage therapy for two times which is of no use. I guess it had worsened my pain further.

Kindly help.

#

You have two ongoing issues, impingement of shoulder and the cervically tapered nerve. I advise you to take a MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of neck and shoulder or to get clinical examination.

I suggest you to start of with physiotherapy, shoulder setting exercises, and rotator cuff strengthening exercises for your shoulder impingement. Kindly avoid overhead repetitive activities. Take antinflammatory tablets and apply ice packs If there is no response after six weeks then a shoulder steroid injection is needed and MRI should be done to rule out the rotator cuff tear.

For cervical nerve issues start with physiotherapy, neck strengthening exercises, and deep myofascial release for the trigger spot which you refer to as the knot. Apply ice packs and take muscle relaxants and tablet Pregabalin to help with the nerve pain. Kindly avoid long periods in one position like looking into the phone or the laptops, reading books in bed. If there is no improvement, a MRI of neck is needed. If MRI is already done please send the reports to help you better.

Thanks.

|