Q. I am experiencing neck and shoulder pain from childhood. Why?

Dr. James F Geiselman
This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2021

I am a 21 year old female, and I am experiencing chronic neck and shoulder pain. It ranges from dull to severe and happens when I stand or walk for over an hour. I have been experiencing this since I was a child and have never received an explanation or treatment. I am not sure if it is related, but I also have a particularly enlarged bone that sticks out when I tilt my head down, at the base of the back of my neck. My shoulders are in pain every day and it feels like the bones in my shoulders grind together when I move them. Can you give me any information? I am attaching the picture of the bone that sticks out when I tilt my head. 

#

I have reviewed your question and viewed your image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I am sorry you are experiencing chronic neck and shoulder pain.

• Based on the image, it is hard to tell what vertebrae this is. It could be C7 or T1. Does it hurt when you flex your neck? To fully answer your question, I have several questions of my own.
  • Have you ever been to anyone for treatment? If so, what did they say about it? Also, what do you do for a living? Do you have a desk job where you type or sit all day?
  • All of these questions are important for a proper diagnosis. It may be possible that you have something as simple as an upper crossed syndrome (UCS). UCS occurs when certain muscles are tight while others are loose. Basically, it is a muscle imbalance.
  • If you were my patient, I would perform a chiropractic examination and would most likely recommend chiropractic adjustments and exercises. Since you are not my patient, I recommend that you go to a local chiropractor for treatment and proper care. Once they perform an examination, your chiropractor may want to order x-rays or other additional tests, but I would suspect that he or she will recommend a trial of care to see how you respond to it.

Revert with more information to a chiropractor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/chiropractor

|