Login      Sign Up

Q. I am experiencing neck and shoulder pain from childhood. Why?

Answered by Dr. James F Geiselman.

Do you have a question on Shoulder Pain or Muscle Pull? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hi doctor,

I am a 21 year old female, and I am experiencing chronic neck and shoulder pain. It ranges from dull to severe and happens when I stand or walk for over an hour. I have been experiencing this since I was a child and have never received an explanation or treatment. I am not sure if it is related, but I also have a particularly enlarged bone that sticks out when I tilt my head down, at the base of the back of my neck. My shoulders are in pain every day and it feels like the bones in my shoulders grind together when I move them. Can you give me any information? I am attaching the picture of the bone that sticks out when I tilt my head. 

Related Questions:
What is the reason for neck pain on turning to side?
I am having quad pain when running to the point where I cannot bear any weight.
I am getting severe and consistent pain in the abdomen. What could be wrong?

Dr. James F Geiselman


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have reviewed your question and viewed your image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I am sorry you are experiencing chronic neck and shoulder pain.

  • Based on the image, it is hard to tell what vertebrae this is. It could be C7 or T1. Does it hurt when you flex your neck? To fully answer your question, I have several questions of my own.
  • Have you ever been to anyone for treatment? If so, what did they say about it? Also, what do you do for a living? Do you have a desk job where you type or sit all day?
  • All of these questions are important for a proper diagnosis. It may be possible that you have something as simple as an upper crossed syndrome (UCS). UCS occurs when certain muscles are tight while others are loose. Basically, it is a muscle imbalance.
  • If you were my patient, I would perform a chiropractic examination and would most likely recommend chiropractic adjustments and exercises. Since you are not my patient, I recommend that you go to a local chiropractor for treatment and proper care. Once they perform an examination, your chiropractor may want to order x-rays or other additional tests, but I would suspect that he or she will recommend a trial of care to see how you respond to it.

Revert with more information to a chiropractor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/chiropractor

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

How to rule out neck pain and numbness?
Query: Hi doctor, A physiotherapist did some manipulation with my neck and since then when I fall asleep at night, my arms, hands, upper back (area just below the neck) and brain feels weird as if blood supply is cut. This happens several times during the night while I am sleeping and these symptoms go aw...  Read Full »
Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
Orthopaedician And Traumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned pain and numbness in your upper limbs after manipulation was done by a physical therapist. You have also mentioned both upper limb involvement which is actually a surprise because normal spinal manipulations should not actually lead to this especial...  Read Full »
Why is there neck pain on turning to side?
Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my neck whenever I turn it to the left, occurring in the back left-hand side of my neck, and this has been happening for the last six months. I am currently on no medication. I am a female, age 15, 5'5".  Read Full »
Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. I feel that there could be some facet irritation that can lead to this restriction and pain on your left side of the neck. Do not worry. I suggest you to kindly use a neck pillow or support your neck properly while sleeping. At least make su...  Read Full »
I am getting severe and consistent pain in the abdomen. What could be wrong?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. My height is 5'9", and weight is 130 lbs. I am not due my period anytime soon, and I am on birth control. For the past few days, I have been getting severe pains in the bottom of my abdomen. It started a few days ago with sharp pains on the right side just up a bit. By ...  Read Full »
Dr. Sharmila Naik
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There could be ureteric calculus if the pain is sharp and shooting or a renal stone dislodged from the place. You need to get an ultrasound done to rule out any pathology. It needs further physical examination as it could just even be a muscular spasm, which happens ...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

My nose is always blocked and has mucus. Kindly help.
Hello doctor,My nose is always blocked and have mucus, from past four months. To open up my nostrils, I have to use Otri ...Read more »
Child is showing tantrums and speaking bad words. Kindly help.
Hello doctor, My child is 2.7 years old but is very aggressive and does what should not be done. Never listens, shows t ...Read more »
Folic Acid - Uses | Dosage | Side effects | Drug Interactions | Warnings
Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate, which is a water-soluble vitamin B9. It is the crucial ingredient in the syn ...Read more »