Q. I am experiencing neck and shoulder pain from childhood. Why?

Answered by Dr. James F Geiselman and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Shoulder Pain or Muscle Pull? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 21 year old female, and I am experiencing chronic neck and shoulder pain. It ranges from dull to severe and happens when I stand or walk for over an hour. I have been experiencing this since I was a child and have never received an explanation or treatment. I am not sure if it is related, but I also have a particularly enlarged bone that sticks out when I tilt my head down, at the base of the back of my neck. My shoulders are in pain every day and it feels like the bones in my shoulders grind together when I move them. Can you give me any information? I am attaching the picture of the bone that sticks out when I tilt my head.