Q. I am getting excruciating pain on right shoulder due to sports activity. Is it dead arm syndrome?

Dr. Ranjeet Singha, Pt

My right shoulder is excruciatingly painful. I play quarterback in football and I am 16 years old. Since I participate in a throwing sport, dead arm syndrome is something that I suspect may be the cause of my pain. I have also noticed that my upper right trapezius if lower than my left one. Please help.

#

As mentioned by you that you might be suffering from dead arm syndrome. At present I would suggest you to follow price protocol, that is protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation.

I would suggest you to stop doing any sports activities which aggravate your pain. Once pain subsides you need to strengthen the shoulder muscles as this condition develops due to weak shoulder muscles. I would suggest consulting any physiotherapist to learn how to strengthen your muscles. It is very important before you proceed to play otherwise you might get reinjury. If your condition does not improves within a week consult any physiotherapist.

|