Side Effect Of Alcohol

What can cause red hives to appear on the body after drinking alcohol?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male aged 24 years with an overall healthy history. However, I have noticed in the recent past, a bunch of red hives on (swollen red coloured ,not-painful) different parts of the body (knees, legs, cheek, arms) appearing after drinking beer or wine. This happened now twice in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello. I welcome you to icliniq. I am sorry but the picture you uploaded seems little bit taken far away, not giving me full description of what it is. Yes you should get your liver function tests this will help us to detect any subtle damage to the liver. In chronic drinkers small blood vessel en...  Read Full »

Does drinking alcohol make Abilify never work again?

Query: Hi doctor, A person used Abilify and drank alcohol heavily on Abilify. Then switched medications and quit drinking for years. Can that person go back to Abilify again? Will it work? Or does drinking alcohol make the medication never work again? Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Sathya Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Abilify (Aripiprazole) effects can be reduced simultaneously by using alcohol at that point of time. It means, at the time you are taking alcohol as well as Abilify, the medicine may not be able to exert its full effect. But, its effects are not reduced in the fashion t...  Read Full »

How to treat tongue twist and hand shivering in an alcoholic?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is an alcoholic. He has not been eating for the last 15 days. He is now suffering from insomnia. He is able to see abnormal things like people standing near to him. He has lost weight. He is having heavy sweat at night on the forehead. His tongue twists and has shivering hands. ...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry for your father's condition. Your father is suffering from Wernicke's encephalopathy or Korsakoff syndrome. Chronic alcohol abuse lead to deficiency of vitamin thiamine. I would suggest you to take him to ER (emergency room) and have him admitted and monitored for ...  Read Full »

Will mixing alcohol with antibiotics be deadly in an asthmatic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I was recently diagnosed with asthma, bronchitis, and pharyngitis. I am currently on some temporary medicines, and antibiotics to treat these sicknesses along with an inhaler. I do not feel that bad, but I need to take the pills. However, being in college, I have a big game this weeken...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I guess you are taking medicines for bronchitis and pharyngitis. So most probably it is an antibiotic medicine. Generally, we advise to take medicines after food with water, and within limits taking some medicines with low alcohol does not cause any harm. However, it...  Read Full »

Can Celexa cause brain damage?

Query: Hi doctor, I took Celexa for more than 10 years. It was prescribed by my cardiologist and was maintained by my MD. I drank while on it and had several bad experiences. I asked to be taken off and my MD just told me to stop. This was another bad experience. This was about six years ago. I suffered ...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding brain damage from long-term use of Celexa (Citalopram), as such you need not be worried about this as Celexa is one of the safest antidepressant. However, your habit of alcohol consumption might have resulted in brain damage. For mild depressive features, medica...  Read Full »

Can cocaine affect sperm?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I had one wild night where we did several lines of cocaine. I have not done it before. And now my wife is pregnant. I have read studies that cocaine use in men prior to impregnation can cause birth defects, etc. Has this one night seven to eight weeks prior cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your dilemma, but be assured a gap of seven to eight weeks is pretty long enough for the drug to be out of our system and cause any damage to your baby. The half life of cocaine is 15 to 50 hours in urine. It is completely excreted out of the system in less t...  Read Full »

What are the first signs of oral cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been very worried about my health lately. I would like to preface this by saying that I have been experiencing anxiety off late and I have a suspicion that some of these symptoms could be related to that. I am currently weaning off of Prednisone, which I have been taking for an all...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern. I want to clarify details regarding who advised you to start Prednisone, and for how long have you been on it as this a drug which suppresses your immunity and causes a secondary infection. Care should be taken before...  Read Full »

Can alcohol consumption result in drowsiness, confusion, and anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from severe brain fog, confusion, and forgetfulness for the last two months. Almost to the point where I thought I might have had a stroke, Alzheimer's, or liver failure. I now believe that it may be down to the fact that I drink about 10 pints of beer once per week...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.It will not be appropriate to tell you without proper examination what exactly you might have. But yes, frequent alcohol drinkers may suffer from vitamin deficiencies (B1, B12, B6), which leads to neurological manifestation and serious consequences in the long term.Most of ...  Read Full »

Blood in vomit after drinking too much alcohol. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 20 year old male. About three days ago, I vomited bright red blood after consuming excessive alcohol. This is the first time I have consumed more than one beer and I was also unconscious. I have not been having any pains or any other symptoms. After the first vomit of blood, I pu...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. At this age, bleeding with vomiting is likely due to an injury to the lower esophagus because of the force of the vomit. If the bleeding was severe, then an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy is necessary for two reasons. Alcohol drinking ...  Read Full »

ALT and AST are out of range. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a blood work on my liver. The results came back saying that my ALT and AST are very high and out of range. So, I would like to know what that exactly means. When I received my laboratory test report they said that I should seek medical advice. My AST is 75 and ALT is 35. My MCV 116 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Alcohol induced liver damage has caused increased enzyme levels. Possibly early stages, as no jaundice is seen. MCV high (mean corpuscular volume) is due to associated vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency. Malnutrition du...  Read Full »