Side Effect Of Alcohol

Will mixing alcohol with antibiotics be deadly in an asthmatic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I was recently diagnosed with asthma, bronchitis, and pharyngitis. I am currently on some temporary medicines, and antibiotics to treat these sicknesses along with an inhaler. I do not feel that bad, but I need to take the pills. However, being in college, I have a big game this weeken...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I guess you are taking medicines for bronchitis and pharyngitis. So most probably it is an antibiotic medicine. Generally, we advise to take medicines after food with water, and within limits taking some medicines with low alcohol does not cause any harm. However, it...  Read Full »

Can Celexa cause brain damage?

Query: Hi doctor, I took Celexa for more than 10 years. It was prescribed by my cardiologist and was maintained by my MD. I drank while on it and had several bad experiences. I asked to be taken off and my MD just told me to stop. This was another bad experience. This was about six years ago. I suffered ...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding brain damage from long-term use of Celexa (Citalopram), as such you need not be worried about this as Celexa is one of the safest antidepressant. However, your habit of alcohol consumption might have resulted in brain damage. For mild depressive features, medica...  Read Full »

Can cocaine affect sperm?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I had one wild night where we did several lines of cocaine. I have not done it before. And now my wife is pregnant. I have read studies that cocaine use in men prior to impregnation can cause birth defects, etc. Has this one night seven to eight weeks prior cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your dilemma, but be assured a gap of seven to eight weeks is pretty long enough for the drug to be out of our system and cause any damage to your baby. The half life of cocaine is 15 to 50 hours in urine. It is completely excreted out of the system in less t...  Read Full »

What are the first signs of oral cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been very worried about my health lately. I would like to preface this by saying that I have been experiencing anxiety off late and I have a suspicion that some of these symptoms could be related to that. I am currently weaning off of Prednisone, which I have been taking for an all...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern. I want to clarify details regarding who advised you to start Prednisone, and for how long have you been on it as this a drug which suppresses your immunity and causes a secondary infection. Care should be taken before...  Read Full »

Can alcohol consumption result in drowsiness, confusion, and anxiety?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from severe brain fog, confusion, and forgetfulness for the last two months. Almost to the point where I thought I might have had a stroke, Alzheimer's, or liver failure. I now believe that it may be down to the fact that I drink about 10 pints of beer once per week...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.It will not be appropriate to tell you without proper examination what exactly you might have. But yes, frequent alcohol drinkers may suffer from vitamin deficiencies (B1, B12, B6), which leads to neurological manifestation and serious consequences in the long term.Most of ...  Read Full »

Blood in vomit after drinking too much alcohol. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 20 year old male. About three days ago, I vomited bright red blood after consuming excessive alcohol. This is the first time I have consumed more than one beer and I was also unconscious. I have not been having any pains or any other symptoms. After the first vomit of blood, I pu...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. At this age, bleeding with vomiting is likely due to an injury to the lower esophagus because of the force of the vomit. If the bleeding was severe, then an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy is necessary for two reasons. Alcohol drinking ...  Read Full »

ALT and AST are out of range. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a blood work on my liver. The results came back saying that my ALT and AST are very high and out of range. So, I would like to know what that exactly means. When I received my laboratory test report they said that I should seek medical advice. My AST is 75 and ALT is 35. My MCV 116 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Alcohol induced liver damage has caused increased enzyme levels. Possibly early stages, as no jaundice is seen. MCV high (mean corpuscular volume) is due to associated vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency. Malnutrition du...  Read Full »

Does drinking beer affect the baby during breastfeeding?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it right to take a beer while breastfeeding? Is it different from other forms of alcohol?  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not healthy to take an alcoholic beverage during pregnancy or breastfeeding. It has a lot of adverse effects on the baby. You can have a light drink immediately after nursing the baby. Wait for at least three to four hours before nursing the baby again. Breastfeed...  Read Full »

My ultrasound reports say 'bulky liver'. How can I get treated for that?

Query: Hello doctor,My SGOT level is 146, total bilirubin is 2.7, globulin is 4.5 and GGTP is 406. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at your reports, I see your SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) is elevated, and so are bilirubin and GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase), while the albumin level is normal. It suggests that you have hepatitis. In your case, as you are overweight and p...  Read Full »

I have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Is light beer bad for my liver?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease last year. My liver enzymes are very high. I used to drink champagne, wine, and other hard liquor, a few times a week. But now, I switched to light beer. Is it bad for my liver?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Excessive alcohol, that is, more than 12 g a day, is certainly dangerous and should be strictly avoided. Regarding mild to moderate consumption, data is inadequate at this moment. But, recommendations are to strictly avoid all alcohol consumption because it can damage...  Read Full »