Side Effect Of Antidepressants

Does erection problems persist after discontinuing antidepressant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23 years old and I am on Citalopram, Buspirone, and Valium. In the past few weeks, I have stopped taking Valium. I am taking only 2.5 mg to wean off and just today I discontinued the Citalopram as well after gradually cutting down from 40 mg to 10 over the last two weeks. I still ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrologist, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the erection problem is due to antidepressants, then it will become invariably normal once you stop the medications. In your case, the reason must be marijuana. I think it is better you stop that and also get your early morning serum testosterone assay done. For furthe...  Read Full »

I am gaining weight with Paroxetine and Mirtazapine. Can I use Zoloft?

Query: Hi doctor, I have OCD and bipolar depression. I am taking Paroxetine and Mirtazapine for OCD and sleep respectively. I am gaining too much weight. Can I switch to Zoloft?  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Both Mirtazapine and Paroxetine are known to cause weight gain. Sertraline (Zoloft) also causes some weight gain. So, in my opinion shifting to Sertraline will not be a good idea. Other SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like Flu...  Read Full »

Why do I feel increased lightheadedness and pressure near the back of the neck?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from increasing lightheadedness and pressure near the back of the neck. I have this throughout the day. It gets worse with exertion and hot shower. I have some weird feeling in chest that is almost a fast heartbeat. My EKG and blood pressure are normal. Currently, I am on P...  Read Full »

Dr. Eriol Braholli

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The common cause of dizziness or lightheadedness is abnormal blood pressure or irregular heartbeat. But, you said that your blood pressure and heart rhythm are normal. So, the other reason may be your depression medication. The common side effects of Prozac (Fluoxetine) ...  Read Full »

How to come out of anxiety, stress, and forgetfulness?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from severe anxiety and heart attack like debilitating panic attacks when presented with work deadlines, enclosed spaces such as subways, elevators and small airplanes. I have relationship fears. Nothing in my life provides me joy or relieves me of my symptoms. I had the s...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the available description, it is almost clear that you are having depression along with claustrophobia (fear of confined spaces). It is obvious that you are not enjoying anything, fallen down to social ladder, feel distressed, loss of pleasure in almost all activiti...  Read Full »

How long does cheeks muscle spasm, a side effect of Paroxetine, last?

Query: When I started paroxetine(paxil) 20 mg for GAD, I had three side effects, two of which were common, difficulty sleeping and a lack of appetite. The two were manageable. As for the third, which was a mild muscle spasms in my cheeks. Feeling like muscle cheeks are sometimes tight then relaxes. This s...  Read Full »

Dr. Rishav Bansal

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Although your spasms should not have persisted this long, i suggest you to consult your psychiatrist if any other alternative of paroxetine is possible in your case.. In case, you dont want to change paroxetine, you can try calcium supplements for few months as sometimes spasms may improve af...  Read Full »

Please tell me the side effects of medicines used to treat GAD.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from unsteadiness, muscle tension, mild fatigue, anxiety and depression. I have been diagnosed with GAD. My doctor prescribed my Clonazapem 5 mg and Escitalopran 10 mg. Is it fine to take half of each tablet? Will it cause any intolerable side effects? I do not want to tak...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think for a 71 Kg young male the chance of side effects with recommended dose is very minimal, but at the same time I do not think this could be the final dose. Your doctor is right in saying take 5 mg of Escitalopram and this is the minimal effective dose for firs...  Read Full »

I am taking antidepressants for a long time and suffering from erectile dysfunction. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old. I am taking the following medicines for the past seven years, but I am extremely suffering from erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. What can I do? Bisoprolol 2.5 mg once daily, Flupentixol and Melitracen (0.5mg+10mg) once daily, Theophylline 400 mg ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Why are you taking anti-depressant and antipsychotic drugs, that too for so long time? Why these medicines were started? Are you also suffering from some heart problems? Please reply so that I may guide you accordingly. Regarding erectile dysfunction, most of the antid...  Read Full »

Is laziness a side effect of psychiatric medicines?

Query: Hi Doctor, I am taking the following psychiatric medications: Oleptal DT 300 1-0-1, Encorate Chrono 300 1-0-1, Zipsydon 80 1-0-1, Flunil 60 1-1-0, Zapiz 0.5 1-1-1, Provanol 10 1-1-1 and Waklert 150 1-0-0. I feel lazy and have low libido. Tentex forte is not working for me. Please modify my dosage, s...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are in a combination of multiple medicines and feeling lazy and low libido. You are taking Zapiz (Clonazepam) 0.5 mg one tablet three times a day. I advise you to make it half tablet three times a day. This should reduce your laziness. Secondly, you...  Read Full »

Will the usage of antidepressant medicines have any adverse effect on sex life?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 19 years. I am on antidepressant tablets like Paroxetine prolonged-release, Clonazepam, Mirtazapine, and Dosulepin. I have a problem with erection and do not have a sex drive. Will these medicines have any adverse effects on my sex life? What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are on three different types of antidepressants - Paroxetine, Mirtazapine, and Dosulepin. Clonazepam is meant for short term use. Is your depression better after having these medicines? What is the duration of your medication? Do you experience any other side ef...  Read Full »

Due to OCD medications, I am facing erectile dysfunction. Is there any Siddha medicine available for this?

Query: Hello doctor, Due to OCD medicine Clofranil 50 mg, erectile dysfunction problem has raised, and subsequently, ejaculation is not happening. Is there any Siddha medicine available for this. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are taking an allopathy drug Clofranil (Clomipramine). Few side effect of this drug is dry mouth, ejaculation failure, and difficulty in urination. Since these are the side effects of the Clofranil, nothing can be done. You can ask the neurologist or psychiatrist (...  Read Full »