Q. I am continuously taking Nilavarai choornam. Is there any side effect in taking this choornam?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am continuously taking Nilavarai choornam (2 grams after food in the night). I have been taking this for the past 2 years. Is there any side effect in taking this choornam?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate your regularity in taking Nilavarai choornam regularly.

You need to have a break in between in taking this choornam. If you continuously take, it may alter (destroy) the intestinal beneficial bacteria, which are essential for producing some vitamins and help in local intestinal immunity. This 'purgative abuse' may also injure your intestinal villi, which will lead to malabsorption and improper digestion. The anthroquinone present in the senna plant (nilavarai) can cause black pigmentation in intestine or other mucosal parts. It also can cause inflammation in the colon.

Hence, my advice is as follows;

• Stop the nilavarai choornam. If you have constipation, only then you can take it with hot water. You can continue for 10 days or a maximum of 45 days (one mandalam). Beyond that there should be a gap of 10 days.
  • You can consume more curd/butter milk/yoghurt to reverse the normal intestinal microflora.
  • If you want to have a mild laxative, you can consume 'Bhavana kadukkai tablet', which is a chewable tablet. One chewable tablet after food twice daily (after lunch and dinner). But, this will make your tongue black for next one hour. So, if you can take it after dinner alone, is also fine. This tablet is actually a herbal pickle and can be continued for life long without any side effects. It is a good antioxidant, laxative, hepatoprotective (liver protection), iron supplement etc.

Hope this helps.

Revert back to a siddha medicine specialist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/siddha-medicine-specialist

| 
1 out of 1 likes