Q. My insomnia gets worsened due to Prednisone. Is it permanent?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

I had been taking Trazodone 400 mg and Luvox for depression. My doctor prescribed Prednisone 10 mg two tablets daily for 10 days for a cough. However, since taking Prednisone, my insomnia had worsened dramatically. I stopped taking Prednisone after 10 days, but my insomnia had not improved. Is insomnia a permanent side effect of Prednisone?

#

It is a well-known fact that Prednisone causes insomnia, but it is not permanent. It may take a few days to return to a normal sleep pattern as the sleep cycle is disturbed. Try to follow good sleep hygiene. If still unable to sleep after a few days then sleep promoting natural medicine like Melatonin can be tried or any other medication to restore your sleep pattern can be used after discussing it with your psychiatrist. Insomnia is not a permanent side effect of Prednisone. I hope your concern is answered.

|