Q. Can slight bleeding be a side effect of I-pill after unprotected sex?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B
Published on Apr 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I had unprotected sex with my husband 17 days back. I took I-pill within three to four hours. Two days later I again took I-pill. My last period was 23 days ago. Now, since two days I am having slight bleeding of brownish red color and cramps too. I usually have cramps during my periods. Is it implantation bleeding? Or side effect of I-pill?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• Since your last period was 23 days back, no need to take I-pill at all, as you were on safe zone if your periods are regular.
  • You took unnecessarily one more I-pill again. Please try to understand that I-pill is an emergency contraceptive pill and not a routine pill.
  • You should take oral contraceptive (OC) pill from first day of your menses for 21 days to continue normal contraception.
  • I-pill contains stronger hormones and taking frequently is not safe at all. Try to discuss with your gynecologist regarding your menses and safe dates.
  • Now, you must be having an I-pill induced bleeding. Your period might get delayed due to I-pill; you can wait for your date.
  • You can get a pregnancy test for your safety.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Are you sure that it is not implantation bleeding? Are there any chances of getting pregnant?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• If intercourse happened only 17 days back, then there is no chance of pregnancy.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Will I-pill tablet work if taken two hours after the act?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she had her period on the 14th of last month. On the 1st of this month, while having intercourse, unfortunately, the condom broke. She had taken I-pill within two hours. Can you please advise if the tablet will work or not?  Read Full »

Why do I have brown discharge before getting periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a brown discharge, and my dates came. What is that brown discharge?  Read Full »

Is spotting due to I-pill or early pregnancy symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor,I had unprotected sex five month back and took I-pill within 12 to 14 hours. I have done home tests on the sixth and ninth day which were negative. I had brown spotting on the 13th day and some spotting today as well. My last period was ten days before having sex. Is the spotting due to th...  Read Full »