Q. Can slight bleeding be a side effect of I-pill after unprotected sex?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I had unprotected sex with my husband 17 days back. I took I-pill within three to four hours. Two days later I again took I-pill. My last period was 23 days ago. Now, since two days I am having slight bleeding of brownish red color and cramps too. I usually have cramps during my periods. Is it implantation bleeding? Or side effect of I-pill?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• Since your last period was 23 days back, no need to take I-pill at all, as you were on safe zone if your periods are regular.
  • You took unnecessarily one more I-pill again. Please try to understand that I-pill is an emergency contraceptive pill and not a routine pill.
  • You should take oral contraceptive (OC) pill from first day of your menses for 21 days to continue normal contraception.
  • I-pill contains stronger hormones and taking frequently is not safe at all. Try to discuss with your gynecologist regarding your menses and safe dates.
  • Now, you must be having an I-pill induced bleeding. Your period might get delayed due to I-pill; you can wait for your date.
  • You can get a pregnancy test for your safety.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Are you sure that it is not implantation bleeding? Are there any chances of getting pregnant?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• If intercourse happened only 17 days back, then there is no chance of pregnancy.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|