Q. Can taking I-pill on 3 alternate days cause vomiting?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair. B
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 31, 2020

My friend had an intercourse and after which she took an I-pill. After 10 days, she had her period. It started yesterday and stopped. Now, again it started and she is vomiting whatever she eats. She is feeling dizzy and weak. Please suggest some way to overcome this. Thank you.

#

You have not mentioned after how many hours of intercourse your friend has taken I-pill. And secondly, she had bleeding after 10 days of I-pill.

To come to a conclusion we should know on what date of her cycle she had sex and when I-pill was taken.

• Now, please get a pregnancy test done at the earliest. If positive, she has to consult a gynecologist as she is feeling weak. Because, we have to confirm whether it is an intrauterine pregnancy.
  • If the pregnancy is not in uterus, then it needs proper management.
  • Cards are available in medical shops. So, get a test and decide accordingly.

Revert back with the asked details to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

The pill was taken within 30 minutes after the intercourse. But, the pill was taken three times on alternate days. Period was 38 days back and she is not pregnant. She is feeling weak and dizzy. She had intercourse 15 days ago. Please suggest some medication that would give her some rest and make her feel better. Please guide.

#

I-pill is a single tablet of 1.5 mg of Levonorgestrel and should be taken within 72 hours of intercourse.

But, I think she has taken one tablet of I-pill on alternate days for three days meaning 4.5 mg of medicine. That may be the reason for her vomiting sensation and tiredness.

You can give her plenty of water including tender coconut water and some antacids like Digene.

For nausea tablet Domstal (Domperidone) 10 mg three times or Emeset (Ondansetron) 8 mg three times can be given.

If she is still vomiting, then she will require intravenous fluids or injectable medicines.

Hope she is not having any urinary problems. If no relief even after taking the above, then I suggest for a gynecologist consultation.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|