Q. Is red watery bleeding a matter of concern regarding pregnancy?

Dr. Garima Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My girlfriend is 20 years old. She had periods from 24th to 29th. We had sex on the 31st and she had an I-pill after two hours of sex. She got bleeding on the 2nd of the following month and it lasted for four days. I thought it was of I-pill extra hormones Then for two months she missed her periods. I had also enquired regarding this on the icliniq and the doctor told me that it is not a serious concern and she will get her periods soon. After a while, she got her periods, but for the first two to five hours, she had red, watery liquid and it was followed by regular bleeding. But, it lasted for only three days rather than normal five days of the period. The next month periods also the same with red watery bleeding. Would you please tell me, is it a matter of serious concern regarding pregnancy? Or this is just the usual period symptom? I am very much worried. Please explain.

Dr. Garima Sawhney

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Whatever happens to her is the side effect of I-pill only.
  • We need to rule out pregnancy also as I-pill only prevents 50% of pregnancy rate. First do the test serum beta hCG to rule out pregnancy and then we will discuss further management.

For further information consult a childbirth educator online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/childbirth-educator

| 

She had a pill within two hours of sex. Would you please tell me the symptoms of pregnancy or period?

Dr. Garima Sawhney

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• It is a fact that every contraception has some side effect. Same is there with I-pill.
  • I-pill sometimes also causes major hormonal disturbance in the body and because of which some patients get these kind of symptoms.
  • It is necessary to rule out pregnancy. If the pregnancy test comes out to be negative, then we need to start her on some hormonal medication so as to normalize her hormonal changes.

For further doubts consult an childbirth educator online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/childbirth-educator

|