Q. Is there any potential side effect with frequent use of I-pill?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2020

Today is the last day of my periods. Last night, I consumed alcohol and had unprotected sex. I took an I-pill at around 11 AM today. However, I had been vomiting due to nausea at around 2 PM in the afternoon. Should I have to take another pill now? Or would the first one have been effective? How much time does it take for the I-pill to function? I had an I-pill earlier in this month (second week) due to an unforeseen circumstance, that is, the condom was torn. I understand taking I-pill often is harmful, especially in such short period of time. Is there any potential side effect?

#

• There is no need to take another I-pill (Levonorgestrel hormone) as it gets dissolved and absorbed within an hour.
  • However, the nausea and vomiting are due to the high progesterone effect of the I-pill. Now, you need to wait for a withdrawal bleed.
  • Since you just had periods, I-pill was not required as you were in your safe period.
  • The most common side effects of frequent I-pill intake are irregular and delayed periods for a couple of months.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

For the sake of personal curiosity, can you explain what do you mean by safe period?

#

• The safe period indicates the time when ovulation had not occurred or ovum have not got fertilized after ovulation.
  • Hence, in a 28 to 30 day cycle, day 2 to day 10 and day 22 till your next period are the safe periods when unprotected sex does not lead to pregnancy.
  • But, this method of contraception is not 100% safe as it does not cater to episodes of delayed ovulation in some women.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|