Q. I used a steroid cream for my foreskin itching and it made my foreskin thinner. Please help.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am a 33-year-old male. I have constant itching in my foreskin for more than five years. The itching gets better after washing that area. I used a steroid cream and it caused thinning of my foreskin.

Kindly help.

#

Thanks for your query.

Foreskin itching is a common problem and should never be treated with steroids as steroids reduce inflammation and worsen the infection.

This itching is due to a fungal infection. The treatment is retracting the foreskin and gentle and thorough cleaning of all-white material with water. Make it dry, and then apply Canesten cream (Clotrimazole) twice daily for a week.

Please, avoid using steroid cream.

If you have any more queries, please let me know.

Kind regards.

Thanks for the response.

Did you take a look at the picture I sent? Is there anything to concern?

Please help.

#

Thanks for the follow-up.

The picture shows dryness and thinning of the skin (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity), which is absolutely because of steroids.

Do not worry; this will heal completely within a week to ten days. Kindly follow the treatment mentioned above and update me about your condition with another picture after a week.

Kind regards.

|