I am a 24-year-old female with chest pain, increased heart rate, and abnormal EKG. Please help.

Q. What causes chest pain, and increased heart rate in a 24-year-old female?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 29, 2022 and last reviewed on: Aug 03, 2023

Hi doctor,

I had an abnormal EKG during ER visit this week. I am a 24-year-old female who has been experiencing chest pain, tightness, fainting, and tachycardia for the last few months. It got so bad this week that I went to the ER. I will include the notes from my EKG below. I have also been seeing a cardiologist, but as my echocardiogram returned normal, they stopped additional testing. But the symptoms have gotten worse. My resting heart rate, on average, is 120. Would anyone help me interpret these notes from my EKG and recommend the next steps? What should I ask my cardiologist for? I have a history of sinus tachycardia, nonspecific ST and T wave abnormality, and abnormal ECG when compared with the ECG of last month. In addition, ST is now depressed in inferior leads. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern. Apart from a fast heart rate, ECG (electrocardiogram) is normal. Causes of a fast heart rate can be anxiety, fever, dehydration, anemia, and thyroid disorder, especially if the heart rate remains that high even at relaxed and calm times. Chest pain is unlikely to be cardiac because cardiac chest pain does not occur like this, especially in young people with no family history of premature coronary artery disease, no diabetes, no hypertension, and no other risk factors. Chest pain can be due to chest infection, muscular strain, gastric reflux, or costochondritis (inflammation of rib joints). I hope you find it helpful. Kind regards.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your reply. Should I be concerned about ST depression in inferior leads?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern. There are no ST depressions in inferior leads. The machine-generated report is only sometimes correct. The next step is to have a stress test like stress ECG, stress echo, or stress myocardial perfusion imaging with PET (positron emission tomography) or SPECT (single-photon emission computerized tomography). I hope you find it helpful. Kind regards.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Clonidine Overdose - Symptoms and Management

.. that is commonly used to treat high blood pressure. In this article, we discuss Clonidine and related imidazoline poisoning .. ...   Read full

I have irregular heartbeat and palpitations. Is it due to sinus tachycardia or stress?

The 24 hours Holter test concluded that I have ventricluar extrasystoles 1000/24 hour, but the day after and today I felt more palpitations ...   Read full

Breathing Exercises - Types, Advantages, and Techniques

.. faced by many young and older people. Read this article to know more about how to tackle this problem .. ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.