Q. What could be a bump at back of the throat with postnasal drip and GERD?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Jan 24, 2020

I wanted to ask a question about a bump at the back of my throat. It is like a bone. I went to a Local ENT, and he told me it is normal, sometimes it shows to some people. I just wanted to ask what is it?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have seen the picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Do you have symptoms like pain or itching in the throat? It looks like granular lymphoid tissues of the posterior pharyngeal wall or it could be a small cyst of the posterior pharyngeal wall also.

Did you take any treatment for the swelling? If not you can just do Chlorhexidine mouth gargles three times daily for a week which will reduce inflammation and you can take an oral antihistamine like Fexofenadine which will take care of the allergy part (sometimes lymph nodes are enlarged secondary to allergy).

If you have more queries please revert back.

| 

I do not have any throat pain or itching, for the other part of the throat that are swollen. I have been told that it is because I have GERD and underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). GERD gives a postnasal drip which irritates the throat. I am taking care of the thyroid and GERD. I also have allergies. I will try this Chlorhexidine mouth gargles.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Postnasal drip should not be due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), it can be due to sinusitis. Do you have a nose block or early morning headache? Sinusitis can be due to allergy and recurrent sinusitis can cause a postnasal drip and can cause secondary granular pharyngitis.

| 

Yes, I have a nose block almost the whole day every day, especially in the mornings. Headache may be little or nothing that I can notice.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Yes, so your throat problem is secondary to nose problem (most likely sinusitis) and GERD as well. You take a nasal spray with a combination of antihistamine and steroid. Nasal spray will reduce nasal inflammation. Take oral antihistamine as advised before. Do Chlorhexidine mouth gargles.

Check whether nose block subsides, if not get nasal endoscopy and plain CT (computed tomography) scan of nose and paranasal sinuses done. Only then we will come to know if you have sinusitis or not, deviated nasal septum or not (which can cause headache and nose block too). Continue GERD and thyroid treatment.

| 

For how long should I take the nasal spray? Can I take it while I am on Chlorhexidine gargle? I bought 0.02% Chlorhexidine. Is that fine?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Yes, the concentration of Chlorhexidine is correct. Yes, you can use the nasal sprays while you are taking Chlorhexidine mouth gargles.

Did you buy the spray? You should use the spray for fourteen days at least.

Also, please let me know the composition of the nasal spray you got. Thank you.

| 

I have not bought the nasal spray yet. You suggested a nasal spray with a combination of antihistamine and steroid. In the pharmacy, there were a lot of options, but when I asked a nasal spray with a combination of antihistamine and steroid, the pharmacist has got confused. Can you please tell me the name of the nasal spray or the proper name of the combination drugs?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You can take a combination of Fluticasone propionate (steroid) and Azelastine (antihistamine).

| 

Regarding Chlorhexidine, you informed me to take it three times a day for a week, but the one that I got said to take it two times a day after brushing teeth. Is it fine to take thrice a day?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Yes, you can use it three times a day for a week.

| 

Can sinusitis cause bad breath?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a persistent bad breath and bad taste in my mouth. I have excellent oral hygiene, and my dentist said my teeth and gums are all healthy. My doctor said that it could be sinus drainage, but I have dealt with this for years even when I have no drainage. It is ruining my personal life ...  Read Full »

How to cure chronic post-nasal drip and change of voice?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old. I have been living with persistent allergies in my whole life. I have chronic post-nasal drip. I have lost my voice and get some sort of sore throat, whether that be laryngitis or strep throat. I had the same thing thrice in the past three months. This is especially dif...  Read Full »

What is the reason for continuous post nasal drip and sore throat?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my ears, nose, and throat. From last year, I am having a continuous post-nasal drip and a very sore throat. I tried taking over-the-counter antihistamines and mucus thinner, but they did not help. I also have clicking in my ear. My voice kind of muffles in my le...  Read Full »