Q. Why are my arms, neck and underarms blackish when compared to the rest of my body?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

My arms, neck and underarms are blackish compared to the rest of my body. Please look at my pictures and inform me the solution.

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatology Venereology
#

I understand that you are concerned. Looking at your photographs, I can appreciate that you have two things (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

1. Acanthosis nigricans: The darkening of the neck and underarms is due to thickening of the skin, known as acanthosis nigricans. It is a manifestation of insulin resistance and is usually associated with diabetes mellitus, weight gain, obesity, thyroid disorders and certain drugs. Sometimes no cause can be identified.

2. The arms darkness seems simple tanning due to sunexposure as I can appreciate the sharp cut off at the arm, where sunexposure ends the skin is fairer.

Use the following medications:

1. Kojic acid cream apply once at night for pigmentation.

2. Suncros sunscreen lotion apply three times every three hourly on sun exposed areas during day time.

3. Tablet Limcee (Vitamin C) one tablet once a day after breakfast.

Get following investigations done 1. FBS.

2. T3,T4, TSH.

3. Fasting lipid profile.

Please review with reports.

| 

Can you help with my daughter's low platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, My 12 year old daughter was fatigued and had blue blotches over her body. The doctor locally ordered blood tests, and the results showed low platelet count of 50000. They administered Cortisone of 30 mg a day for two weeks, and the count went up to 100000. The doctor reduced Cortisone to...  Read Full »

Tanning of Skin

Article Overview: Though ultraviolet radiation induced erythema is seen in all skin types, it is more marked in fair skin and barely perceptible in dark skinned individuals. This article throws light on different skin phototypes and tanning. Read Article

Cosmetologist

Tanning or skin pigmentation that occurs after sun exposure depends on the individual skin phototypes. The tanning response depends on the wavelength of light inducing it. Immediate tanning is mainly due to ultraviolet A (UVA), whereas delayed tanning is due to ultraviolet B (UVB). Skin phototypes,...  Read Article

Why do I have small red itchy bumps around my groin?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a really irritating itch around my groin area, inner thigh and also in the abdomen area. It has spread to my buttock area too. I need help in solving this. Please help.  Read Full »